This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7446 / 55°44'40"N
Longitude: -2.1378 / 2°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 391447
OS Northings: 650146
OS Grid: NT914501
Mapcode National: GBR F2H0.ZK
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.4V8Z
Entry Name: Fishwick Mains Farmhouse Including Ancillary Range and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395023
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47685
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Earlier 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier structure, with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical-fronted, 2-storey, 3-bay plain house with 2-storey wing at rear forming L-plan; single storey, near U-plan ancillary range enclosing courtyard to N. Coursed and tooled pink/cream sandstone to front; tooled and squared rubble to sides and rear; ashlar dressings. Base course; narrow quoin strips; droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: pilastered and corniced classical doorpiece centred at ground with plain frieze; block pediment; 2-leaf glazed door; 2-pane fanlight. Canted windows flanking at ground with sawtooth half-piend stone roofs; single windows in all bays at 1st floor.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay principal block to right with 2-leaf glazed door centred at ground; horizontal-paned fanlight; single windows at both floors to left; blind painted imitation windows centred at 1st floor and at both floors to right. Regularly fenestrated 2-bay wing slightly recessed to left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with small window centred at ground; tall stair window above; single windows at both floors to left. Blank elevation to piended wing projecting to right; single storey, lean-to porch to left. Boarded timber opening in projecting ancillary range adjoined to outer left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block with single window centred at ground; blind painted imitation window aligned at 1st floor. Boarded timber door centred in projecting, single storey ancillary range adjoined to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane lying-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof. Stepped ridge and wallhead stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped rubble walls flanking driveway to N and partially enclosing site.
A good example of an earlier 19th century farmhouse, notable for the retention of its lying-pane windows. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr William Hood as farmer here in 1866. See separate list entry for the associated farm steading.
Other nearby listed buildings