This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7453 / 55°44'42"N
Longitude: -2.1365 / 2°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 391529
OS Northings: 650218
OS Grid: NT915502
Mapcode National: GBR F2J0.79
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.4VWG
Entry Name: Fishwick Mains Steading
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395024
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47686
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Possibly late 18th century in origin with later additions and alterations. Irregular courtyard steading comprising near L-plan 2- and single storey range to N and W incorporating cartshed and granary to NW; near rectangular-plan group to SW incorporating 3-bay former cottage, various sheds, open court and implement shed. Predominantly tooled pink sandstone rubble (squared and snecked in part); droved sandstone quoins and long and short surrounds to openings.
N RANGE, S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay cartshed and granary to left with 5, segmental-arched openings off-set to right at ground; square-headed windows in all bays at 1st floor. 2-storey, 7-bay range adjoined to right with large sliding door at ground to outer left; gabled hayloft opening breaking eaves above; 2-leaf boarded timber door at ground off-set to left of centre; single windows at ground in 2 bays to left; 2-leaf boarded timber door at ground to outer right; squat windows in 6 bays above. Single storey range adjoined to right with projecting M-gabled sheds adjoined to outer right. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
SW GROUP, W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay cottage to outer left with 2-leaf boarded timber door at centre; flanking bipartite windows. 3-bay range slightly recessed to right with boarded timber door at centre; large opening to outer left; single window to outer right. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay range to left with large opening centred at ground; piended dormer above; door opening to outer left; large opening with sliding doors to right. Piend-roofed shed adjoined to right with larger gabled shed (former open cattle court?) beyond. N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: former cottage to outer right with piend-roofed addition recessed to left. Open court to left with piend-roofed sheds beyond. IMPLEMENT SHED to outer left with 5 cast-iron columns dividing square-headed openings. INTERIORS: not seen 1999.
Predominantly grey slate roofs; corrugated-iron roof to large shed to SE.
Essentially intact, this functionally-planed steading has retained some good details - the cartshed and granary being particularly good. Set to the NW of and still associated with Fishwick Mains Farmhouse - see separate list entry. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr William Hood as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings