This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7802 / 55°46'48"N
Longitude: -2.149 / 2°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 390753
OS Northings: 654105
OS Grid: NT907541
Mapcode National: GBR F1FL.KT
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.YZV7
Plus Code: 9C7VQVJ2+3C
Entry Name: Hutton, Antrim House (Former Manse) Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395026
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47688
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1872 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 4-bay near L-plan gabled former manse with single storey porch addition to side. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone; rubble at rear; ashlar dressings. Base course; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Stugged quoins; droved margins (tabbed at front and rear); projecting cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure to NE.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: consoled brackets to corniced doorpiece at ground off-set to left of centre; timber panelled door; 2-pane fanlight; single window at ground to right; gabled sandstone dormerheads to single windows breaking eaves above. Flush, gabled bay to right with single windows centred at both floors. Slightly advanced gabled bay to outer left with single windows centred at both floors.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled to left with boarded timber door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight; single window at ground to right. 2-bay range to right with single window at ground to left; gabled sandstone dormerhead to single window breaking eaves off-set to left above; single storey, piend-roofed projection to right.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled projection to left with 2-leaf glazed door centred at ground; bipartite window centred at 1st floor; single storey, purple-slated, piend-roofed porch addition to outer left. Full-height wing recessed to right with small window at ground off-set to left of centre; tall stair window above; single windows at both floors to left.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled slightly advanced to left with single windows centred at both floors. 2-bay range to right with single windows in both bays at ground; gabled sandstone dormerheads to single windows breaking eaves above.
Predominantly 6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 10-pane stair window at rear. Grey slate roof; timber bargeboards. Coped sandstone ridge and wallhead stacks; various cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan block. Tooled cream sandstone rubble; droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: square-headed doorway at centre; single window to right; 2-leaf boarded timber garage door to left. N (REAR) ELEVATION: blind. INTERIOR: stable with timber stalls and hay racks in place; exposed rubble walls.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: arched rubble coping to rubble walls partially enclosing site. Square-plan, pyramidal-capped sandstone gatepiers flanking entrance to SE; modern 2-leaf gates.
Privately owned since 1986, this was originally the manse for the nearby Hutton Church - see separate list entry. A photograph said to date from 1872 shows the house being built just to the side (W) of an existing structure (itself no longer in place), thought to have been the original manse, dating from circa 1800. A separate single storey, rubble-built range (converted into 2 private residences) is set to the N of the existing house.
Other nearby listed buildings