This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7718 / 55°46'18"N
Longitude: -2.1092 / 2°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 393245
OS Northings: 653163
OS Grid: NT932531
Mapcode National: GBR F1QP.4T
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.K6T4
Entry Name: Paxton, Thorn Cottage Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395049
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47703
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1846 with later additions and alterations. Single storey, 3-bay, near L-plan Italianate former school with single storey additions at rear. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone; sandstone ashlar dressings (droved in part); rubble at rear. Base course; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Narrow quoin strips; stugged quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. Round-arched windows with droved sandstone mullions and bracketed cills. Single storey, mono-pitched ancillary structure at rear.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: modern timber door centred at ground; decorative iron hinges; small-pane fanlight. Tripartite window to outer left. Gabled projection to outer right with block pedimented tripartite window centred at ground; shield aligned above inscribed 'Paxton School Erected By W F Home 1846'.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end to right with tripartite window centred at ground; round-arched attic light aligned above. Projecting wing recessed to outer right. Round-arched opening in lean-to addition to outer left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: single window in piended projection off-set to right of centre; lean-to projections to outer left and right.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal gable end with tripartite window centred at ground; round-arched attic light aligned above. Lean-to addition slightly recessed to outer right.
Small-pane timber glazing (decorative uppers in part); modern glazing at rear. Grey slate roof; timber bargeboards. Corniced 2-flue sandstone stack to SE; brick-built stack to NE; single circular can.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble wall partially enclosing site at rear.
Funded by William Foreman Home of Paxton House, this was originally Paxton village school. By 1873 the building had become too small and a new school was erected nearby - see separate list entry 'Paxton, The Old School'. Thorn Cottage was Paxton's second village school - replacing an earlier building to the E (itself now a private residence called 'Suthernwud').
Other nearby listed buildings