History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tweedhill Garden

A Category C Listed Building in Hutton, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7538 / 55°45'13"N

Longitude: -2.1164 / 2°6'58"W

OS Eastings: 392793

OS Northings: 651161

OS Grid: NT927511

Mapcode National: GBR F1NX.L8

Mapcode Global: WH9YH.GMFY

Entry Name: Tweedhill Garden

Listing Date: 15 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395059

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47712

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Hutton

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward/Division: Norham and Islandshires

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Find accommodation in
Horncliffe

Description

Possibly late 18th century in origin; further alterations late 20th century. 4-sided, near rectangular-plan walled garden (approximately 3,500m?) adjoining former stable block to E. Tall, coped pink rubble sandstone walls enclosing site (broken in part) with droved sandstone quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; part banded red brick inner lining to N. Lean-to greenhouse adjoining inner elevation N wall (glazing missing in part); lean-to potting shed and further single storey store adjoining outer elevation. Boarded timber doors throughout; boarded door with round-arched window to right in E wall (accessing stables). Large vehicular opening formed in W wall. Little remains of original layout.

Statement of Interest

A large walled garden set to the SW of Tweedhill House with which it is no longer associated (see separate list entry). The 1857 OS map shows the formal layout as having comprised 2 intersecting paths with a fountain in the centre, little/none of which remains in place 1999. The former stable block adjoined to the E was also originally associated with the earlier Tweedhill House (itself thought to have been replaced in the mid to later 19th century). Now separately owned it has been converted into a private dwelling - see separate list entry, 'Tweedhill Stables'. A detached, single storey house has been erected within the garden (late 20th century).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.