History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

266-270 (Even Nos) Morrison Street

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9464 / 55°56'46"N

Longitude: -3.2157 / 3°12'56"W

OS Eastings: 324173

OS Northings: 673257

OS Grid: NT241732

Mapcode National: GBR 8JH.4W

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.KSYT

Entry Name: 266-270 (Even Nos) Morrison Street

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395068

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47727

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Mid to later 19th century, with later alterations and additions including shopfront by Peter Henderson. 4-storey, 5-bay plain classical, symmetrical tenement block, with later shops built out at ground floor. Polished sandstone ashlar above ground floor with polished dressings. Cill course at each floor; eaves cornice and blocking course above.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: shop fronts at ground floor with tenement doorway offset to left of centre; doorpiece comprising panelled Corinthian pilasters with scroll and acanthus consoles flanking plain pilasters with decorative capitals, and frieze with dentil cornice; identical panelled pilasters and consoles terminate shop front to outer left and right, with same plain pilaster with decorative capital at outer right beneath cornice; replacement timber door with 2-pane rectangular fanlight; non-aligned window (blocked) at each floor above. Recessed shop doorway centred to left at ground floor; window at each floor in both bays to left above. Identical arrangement to right.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: adjoining Nos 264-252 (even nos) to right (E), and Nos 272-278 (even nos) to left (W), listed separately.

N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows; plate glass shop windows at ground floor. Roof material not visible. Coped ashlar multi-flue stack to W; coped cement rendered and lined multi-flue stack to E; cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Part of James Haldane's Morrison development, which extends further west and round the corner back up West Maitland Street. The earliest part of the scheme was completed by 1830, but study of the relevant OS maps reveals that by 1853 only the very west and very east ends of Morrison Street had been constructed. At that stage, this part of the street was the site of a stone yard. The detailed door surround and terminating pilasters of the later shop front, are the work of the Edinburgh architect Peter Henderson.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.