This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9495 / 55°56'58"N
Longitude: -3.209 / 3°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 324595
OS Northings: 673595
OS Grid: NT245735
Mapcode National: GBR 8KG.GS
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.PQ3F
Entry Name: 29-37 (Odd Nos) Shandwick Place, the Maitland Hotel
Listing Date: 30 January 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395070
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47729
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Original block, MacGibbon and Ross, 1876, with later alterations. 3-storey, 3-bay with mansard attic and garret, mid-Victorian freestyle, richly detailed. Wrought-iron balustrade with centred, consoled stone balcony between ground and 1st floors; cornice over canted bays, continuous as string course between 1st and 2nd floors; cill course to 2nd floor; consoled balcony to central bay at 2nd floor; continuous cornice and coped blocking course at 2nd floor; corniced tripartite dormer to central attic bay with pedimented garret above; corniced and finialled semicircular pediments to attic dormers to flanking bays. Round-headed windows to central bays, 1st and 2nd floors; swagged nook shafts and rosette architraves at 1st floor; engaged nook shafts, panelled pilasters and spandrels, and fluted architraves at 2nd floor; pilastered attic and garret windows; swagged pilasters to canted bays at 1st floor; pilasters to canted bays at 2nd floor.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-light bay to centre with 3-light canted bays flanking. Modern shop fascias at ground floor, round-arched doorpiece with crested console keyblock and carved floriate architrave; deep-set timber panelled door; triple arched window (central light taller) at 1st floor; 3-light window at 2nd floor; tripartite dormer with centred pendimented garret above. 3-light window at each floor in each bay flanking; dormer window above with small flanking garret windows.
SW AND NE ELEVATION: obscured by adjacent building.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate mansard roof. Tall coped ashlar stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: converted as modern shops at ground floor; unseen above 2000.
A lively, richly decorated contrast to the more austere blocks flanking it. Expansion both east and west has taken place with nos 25-27 being incorporated (see separate listing), as well as No 41 (not included in listing). Nos 25-27 formerly belonged to Wylie and Lochhead (for whom a symmetrical shopfront was designed in 1956), and this accounts for the additional shopfront storey. The line of development westwards was agreed to by the city in 1813 but had been planned as early as 1801, with the S side of Shandwick Place originally called Maitland Street (renamed in the late 1890s). Its form continues the urban rectilinearity of Craig's New Town (Youngson, p215). This side of Shandwick Place appears on Robert Kirkwood's New Plan of 1817, although many of the buildings have since been remodelled or rebuilt. According to Grant Shandwick Place was "once a double line of front-door houses for people of good style, [now they] are almost entirely lines of shops or other new buildings".
Other nearby listed buildings