This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9467 / 55°56'48"N
Longitude: -3.214 / 3°12'50"W
OS Eastings: 324280
OS Northings: 673292
OS Grid: NT242732
Mapcode National: GBR 8JH.GR
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.LSRK
Entry Name: 3-9 (Odd Nos) Torphichen Place, Police Station
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395073
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47732
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert Morham, 1908. 3-storey, 9-bay palazzo-style classical block, end bays chamfered, with 3-bay front to Dewar Place Lane, courtyard formed at rear. Stugged squared and snecked sandstone ashlar, banded rock-faced V-jointed rustication to ground floor, polished quoins (to upper floor angles), long and short surrounds (to 2nd floor windows) and dressings. Base course; cornice at lintel level to ground floor; band course between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 1st floor windows; bracketed cills to 2nd floor; cornice; coped parapet with piers demarking bays, segmental-headed central section (inscribed 'District Police Station') and medallions to chamfered bays (inscribed '1908)'; recessed round-headed openings to ground floor; architraves to upper floors, lugged and corniced at 1st floor.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; recessed architraved doorway to central bay and third bay from right at ground floor, with moulded round-arched fanlight (infilled at bay to right) above 4-panelled timber door; ashlar steps to deep-set main entrance in penultimate bay to left, with multi-paned round-arched fanlight; round-arched windows in remaining bays to ground floor and to boarded doorway to bay to outer right; regular fenestration to upper floors.
S (DEWAR PLACE LANE) ELEVATION: round-arched windows in flanking bays at ground floor and to blocked opening at centre; modern glazed passage spanning road to 11 Torphichen Place to left of centre, 1st floor; lugged and corniced window to right of passage; tripartite window to centre of 2nd floor.
N ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.
E ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
Varied glazing patterns to timber framed windows, predominantly 7-pane sash and case at upper floors. Roof not seen. Corniced sandstone ashlar stacks, shouldered at wallhead (Dewar Place Lane), with assorted cylindrical cans. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
The work of city architect Robert Morham. Torphichen Place was formerly named Thomas Street.
Other nearby listed buildings