This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8777 / 55°52'39"N
Longitude: -3.1437 / 3°8'37"W
OS Eastings: 328541
OS Northings: 665536
OS Grid: NT285655
Mapcode National: GBR 60HG.6V
Mapcode Global: WH6T0.PJ6G
Entry Name: 79 High Street and 81 High Street (Former Mavisbank Jointure House)
Listing Date: 22 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395082
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47740
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian West
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier 18th century. 2-storey single bay rubble sandstone house and 2-storey 2-bay terraced house with timpany gable, harled and painted rubble.
N (PRINCIPLE) ELEVATION: (No 79) slightly off-centre doorway, raised surround, replacement door. Bullseye window to left, bipartite 2-pane window above. Replacement 4-pane window to right, small 2-pane window above; timpany gable to centre, high square chimney stack to right, single can; high square chimney stack to right, single can; mutual stack and channelled quoins. No.81: single bay, lugged and architraved surrounds to windows, ground floor bay formerly a door.
E ELEVATION: single window at ground; 1st floor window blocked; both windows lugged and architraved.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: to left: 2-storey, irregular fenestration, 2-pane sash windows. to right: single bay, lugged and architraved surrounds.
Bullseye window survives on principal elevation; modern replacement sash and case windows elsewhere. Piended grey slate roof; painted iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
Part of A Group with Mavisbank. Two of the oldest inhabited dwellings in Loanhead, it was built as a jointure house for Mavisbank. It was a property to be enjoyed by a widow after the death of her husband. Its first resident was the dowager Lady Clerk, Janet Inglis of Crammond, 1755. She disliked its proximity to the rest of the town and its lack of privacy. She found the doorway badly designed, as she had to lift the hoops of her skirt sideways to enter and exit, thus 'exposing' herself to townsfolk. It has been suggested Mrs Arbuthnot of Mavisbank used it as an infant school in the 19th century, before any school had been purpose built.
Other nearby listed buildings