History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

79 High Street and 81 High Street (Former Mavisbank Jointure House)

A Category B Listed Building in Loanhead, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8777 / 55°52'39"N

Longitude: -3.1437 / 3°8'37"W

OS Eastings: 328541

OS Northings: 665536

OS Grid: NT285655

Mapcode National: GBR 60HG.6V

Mapcode Global: WH6T0.PJ6G

Entry Name: 79 High Street and 81 High Street (Former Mavisbank Jointure House)

Listing Date: 22 March 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395082

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47740

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Loanhead

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian West

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Loanhead

Description

Earlier 18th century. 2-storey single bay rubble sandstone house and 2-storey 2-bay terraced house with timpany gable, harled and painted rubble.

N (PRINCIPLE) ELEVATION: (No 79) slightly off-centre doorway, raised surround, replacement door. Bullseye window to left, bipartite 2-pane window above. Replacement 4-pane window to right, small 2-pane window above; timpany gable to centre, high square chimney stack to right, single can; high square chimney stack to right, single can; mutual stack and channelled quoins. No.81: single bay, lugged and architraved surrounds to windows, ground floor bay formerly a door.

E ELEVATION: single window at ground; 1st floor window blocked; both windows lugged and architraved.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: to left: 2-storey, irregular fenestration, 2-pane sash windows. to right: single bay, lugged and architraved surrounds.

Bullseye window survives on principal elevation; modern replacement sash and case windows elsewhere. Piended grey slate roof; painted iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Part of A Group with Mavisbank. Two of the oldest inhabited dwellings in Loanhead, it was built as a jointure house for Mavisbank. It was a property to be enjoyed by a widow after the death of her husband. Its first resident was the dowager Lady Clerk, Janet Inglis of Crammond, 1755. She disliked its proximity to the rest of the town and its lack of privacy. She found the doorway badly designed, as she had to lift the hoops of her skirt sideways to enter and exit, thus 'exposing' herself to townsfolk. It has been suggested Mrs Arbuthnot of Mavisbank used it as an infant school in the 19th century, before any school had been purpose built.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.