This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1254 / 56°7'31"N
Longitude: -3.3107 / 3°18'38"W
OS Eastings: 318617
OS Northings: 693288
OS Grid: NT186932
Mapcode National: GBR 24.L05W
Mapcode Global: WH6RS.39RK
Plus Code: 9C8R4MGQ+4P
Entry Name: Lochgelly, Main Street, St Serf's Parish Church (Church of Scotland; Formerly Macainsh Parish Church), Including Hall, Manse (82 Main Street), Gates, Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395089
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47755
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty
Traditional County: Fife
Mr Downie of Kirkcaldy, architect; James Robertson, builder; David and John Wilson, joiners, 1849. Single storey rectangular plan church. Sandstone ashlar NW elevation, sandstone rubble to remainder. Base course; chamfered reveals; tall pointed arched openings with Y tracery and basket tracery.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; 3 bay; central bay advanced, decorative architraved doorpiece, elaborate roll moulded Tudor arched doorway, flanked to left and right by inset quatrefoil, 2 leaf boarded timber door reached by splayed stone steps; pointed arched architraved window springs from doorpiece, hoodmould, birdcage bellcote with pyramidal roof. Windows flanking central bays to left and right.
SW ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3 bay; single window to each bay.
SE ELEVATION: various additions linking church to hall (see below).
NE ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3 bay; single window to each bay.
Square pane leaded stained glass windows, pair of decorative stained glass windows to SE elevation. Grey slate roof, ridge ventilator. Coped stone skews with gableted skewputts.
INTERIOR: aisleless nave; panelled gallery to NW; pine pews with decorative pew ends; elaborate octagonal pulpit to SE. Elaborate plasterwork ceiling.
Early 20th century. Single storey, rectangular plan hall adjoining church. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone. Chamfered reveals. Broad round arched traceried window to gabled NW elevation, hoodmould over. Timber windows. Slate roof. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Interior: not seen 2001.
MANSE (82 MAIN STREET):
Later 19th century. 2 storey, 3 bay villa. Coursed yellow sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Base course; architraved openings; long and short rusticated quoins.
NW ELEVATION: near symmetrical; flat roofed porch advanced to centre bay of ground floor, deep eaves cornice, window to centre, gableted timber porch to re entrant angle to left, doorway to centre, windows to bays to left and right of ground floor; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
SW, SE AND NE ELEVATIONS: not seen 2001.
Replacement windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 pairs of square plan sandstone ashlar gatepiers to NW, corniced necks and decorative caps; 2 leaf iron gates; stepped low ashlar walls flanking, surmounted by iron railings.
Place of worship in use as such.
Macainsh Parish Church was built on land which originally formed part of the Earl of Zetland's estate. In 1849 the Kirkcaldy Presbytery of the Free Church of Scotland set up a mission in the village of Lochgelly, which was taken over six years later by Peter Macainsh. As the coal and ironstone mining industry grew so did the population of Lochgelly and the size of the mission congregation. As a result of this, the present church was built to accommodate 500 people. The church opened for worship on the 19th of July 1858, under the name of Lochgelly Free Church. In 1900 it became the Macainsh United Free Church, and in 1929 the Macainsh Parish Church of Scotland.
In 2005 it became known as St Serf's Parish Church, Lochgelly. Statutory address and Notes updated 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings