This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8471 / 55°50'49"N
Longitude: -2.9796 / 2°58'46"W
OS Eastings: 338763
OS Northings: 661977
OS Grid: NT387619
Mapcode National: GBR 70MT.QT
Mapcode Global: WH7VF.69FC
Entry Name: Crichton, Crichton Mains
Listing Date: 22 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395096
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47759
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Sir Robert Rowand Anderson with Wardrop and Reid. 1885-1887. 2?-storey irregularly massed, Z-plan Arts and Crafts farmhouse. Coursed pink and white sandstone. Ashlar cills, mullions and skews.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting enclosed stone porch, pitcheded roof with stone finial on gable with deeply inset timber door; adjoining projecting wing on left: blind ground floor with single bay on right; tripartite window to 1st floor, stone mullions and chamfered cills; gable ended, plain stone skews with ornate stone ball finial on apex; main house to right with single window to ground floor right, pair of windows to 1st floor, tall multi-canned chimney stack between at roof level; catslide bipartite dormer to left.
SW ELEVATION: regular fenestration to main block with advanced bay window to ground floor right; regular fenestration to retiring lower wing.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.
NE ELEVATION: 2-bay to 1st floor left, SE entrance to lower rear wing on right: regular fenestration, multi potted chimney stack to right on apex of gable.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof, zinc ridging; high narrow stone stack supported by metal rod to roof, with tall and short cans. Buff coloured cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Set within a wooded area, it is the planned farmhouse for the Crighton estate. Anderson's design is a scaled down version of a house called Beatson House in Colinton Road. He also designed nearby Crichton Cottages as housing for the workers on the estate, in 1885. Situated to the W of the house, these are listed separately. The plans for both buildings still survive even though a lot of the office papers were destroyed when the basement of 16 Rutland Square flooded in 1959. They are now housed at the University of Edinburgh. The farmhouse has a converted steading to the E with a drive to it.
Other nearby listed buildings