History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newhalls Road, Hawes Pier

A Category C Listed Building in Almond, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9916 / 55°59'29"N

Longitude: -3.3861 / 3°23'9"W

OS Eastings: 313633

OS Northings: 678497

OS Grid: NT136784

Mapcode National: GBR 21.VF8D

Mapcode Global: WH6S9.YNRL

Entry Name: Newhalls Road, Hawes Pier

Listing Date: 21 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395129

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47793

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Almond

Find accommodation in
Queensferry

Description

Rennie and Stevenson; 1809-1818. Coursed rubble slip; central wall.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with lighthouse. The pier is contemporary with the lighthouse, also erected by John Rennie. Its proximity to Hawes Inn would suggest that it was the main boarding/disembarking point for the ferries from North Queesnferry. It is probable that there was an earlier structure there prior to Rennie's pier. Like Hawes Inn, the pier once held the name 'New Halls' as that was the name of the small hamlet that has since been incorporated within the boundary of Queensferry. On 4th September 1964 Queen Elizabeth II made the first official crossing of the new road bridge and sailed back to Hawes Pier on the last crossing made by the modern electric paddler steamer, Queen Margaret.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.