History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broomhall Policies, Former Brick Works, Drying Shed and Chimney

A Category C Listed Building in Rosyth, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0415 / 56°2'29"N

Longitude: -3.4901 / 3°29'24"W

OS Eastings: 307265

OS Northings: 684182

OS Grid: NT072841

Mapcode National: GBR 1X.R7XD

Mapcode Global: WH5QY.CD9V

Entry Name: Broomhall Policies, Former Brick Works, Drying Shed and Chimney

Listing Date: 23 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395139

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47804

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Rosyth

Parish: Dunfermline

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cairneyhill

Description

1860's. Single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan drying shed and nearby chimney. Brick buttress piers between open bays. Brick infill to far S bay; window to W and E; central window to S gable; flanking doors. Infil wall to N gable; timber boarding above to apex; piended to S; brick chimney to S; red clay pantiles. Tall, square-plan, brick chimney stack; corniced and nailhead band course.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with Broomhall; Broomhall Ice-House; Broomhall, Limekilns, 9 The Old Orchard; Broomhall, Limekilns, 9 The Old Orchard Garden, Broomhall Doocot; Broomhall Policies, Courthill Cottage; Broomhall Policies, East Lodge and Broomhall Policies, Hillock. The Charlestown Brick and Tile Company which was situated to the E of Fiddler's Hall (NT 060 841), was founded circa 1780. Fireclay was found whilst quarrying for lime and coal and was utilised to provide the bricks for lining the Charlestown limekilns. The bricks were also used for the interior walls of the Charlestown village cottages and drains were also manufactured. The works closed in the 1860's after the fireclay deposits were exhausted and the new brick plant was set up to the NW of Broomhall on the Estate. Clay was found nearby (a curling pond fills the former pit). The bricks were made by forcing the clay into a mould and cut by wire. A steam engine was used to power a clay pugging plant and a sawmill. The bricks were air dried in the shed. Only one chimney remains; formerly there were 2. The chimney fire produced a draught by which the tile and bricks were dried. The brick works closed in 1879. The engine remained for the sawmill until the 1950's when it was replaced by electricity. Various buildings associated with the former brick works still remain but are not part of the Statutory List, such as the cottages and an adjacent drying shed, the bays of which have been infilled with brick. The chimney is no longer in use and the drying shed is used for storage.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.