History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

80-84 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village, South Row

A Category B Listed Building in Rosyth, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0363 / 56°2'10"N

Longitude: -3.499 / 3°29'56"W

OS Eastings: 306694

OS Northings: 683609

OS Grid: NT066836

Mapcode National: GBR 1W.RRW0

Mapcode Global: WH5QY.7J1W

Entry Name: 80-84 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village, South Row

Listing Date: 31 December 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395201

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47819

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Rosyth

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cairneyhill

Description

Later 18th century. Row of 3 single storey, 3-bay cottages; single storey cottage with attic to No 80. Rendered sandstone.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bays to each; central door; flanking windows. Porches added to Nos 80 and 82.

E ELEVATION: attic window to left; gable not fully seen, 2000.

S ELEVATION: rear extensions.

W ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

4-pane timber sash and case windows to Nos 81 and 84. Bipartite 2-pane windows to No 80; replacement fenestration elsewhere. Heightened pitched roof to No 80; continuous roof to Nos 81-84; piended at 84. Red clay pantiles and replacement tiles; black glazed pantiles to No 84. Gable end stacks to No 80 and 84; 3 ridge stacks.

INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double hipped roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.