This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0941 / 56°5'38"N
Longitude: -3.4644 / 3°27'51"W
OS Eastings: 308990
OS Northings: 689999
OS Grid: NT089899
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.N1N0
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.R3H1
Entry Name: Colton House Including Sundial and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47824
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline North
Traditional County: Fife
1885. 2-storey with attic and basement house. Stugged, snecked sandstone. Moulded eaves, string, base courses and skewputts.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation. Advanced porch to left; pair of Tuscan columns support corniced canopy. Window to left; relieving arch. Bipartite 1st floor window above left. Corbelled turret above right of door; 2 1st and 2 attic floor windows. Pepper-pot roof; weather vane. Eaves higher to right than far left section. Central tripartite ground floor window; 2 single windows centred above. Canted bow window to far right bay with crenellated cornice; bipartite 1st floor window centred above; eaves course forms arch above window; single attic window in dormer gable; surmounting finial.
S ELEVATION: doubled gabled elevation; gabled section to far left; blank plaque interrupts string course; bracketed and moulded surround; surmounting floral decoration and inscription; 'DEO GRATIAS AD 1885'. Oval 1st floor window to right; blind attic window with moulded pediment in apex. Decorative cast-iron railings with gate cordons off steps to basement; basement door; flanking windows. Ground floor and 1st floor window to right. Advanced gabled bay to right; rounded quoins. Central corniced, canted bow window; tripartite window above; relieving arch. Attic window in apex; ball finial. Section corbelled out at 1st floor quoins; linear, square-plan turret decoration; floral base; cornice with plain pinnacle; surmounting finial.
E ELEVATION: mostly obscured by modern flat-roofed extension; 4 ground; 3 1st floor windows. Glazed door and 1st floor window to left return. 1st floor pedimented dormer window to house centre; circular blank plaque in apex. 2 catslide dormer attic windows wholly in roof to left. Gabled section to right; attic window to left.
N ELEVATION: flat-roofed extension to far left; shuttered opening to left; door to right; 1st floor window above door. Bipartite window to left of house; relieving arch visible; bipartite window centred above at 1st floor. Mid level window to centre; continuous string course forms hoodmould; attic window above with pediment; blank plaque in apex. Bipartite window to right; window to left; 1st floor window above; attic window to far right; asymmetrical pediment; finial.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows; chamfered stone mullions to bipartite and tripartite windows. Predominantly gabled; slate. Shouldered and corniced ridge stack to W elevation ridge; corniced gable end stack to S elevation, left gable. S elevation; right gable; finial to rear. Shouldered and corniced ridge stack to S elevation ridge. E elevation; gable end stack to right; corniced; shouldered to right only; asymmetrical gradient; curved stops to wallhead cornice; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Early 18th century. Horizontal sundial positioned in front of S elevation; frosterly marble plinth; foliage decoration including thistles and roses to stone pedestal; carved head to each abacus face. Broken white marble base to dial; replacement lead dial with gnomon.
Pair of gatepiers close to Colton House to NW; sandstone blocks; conical coping stones. Pair of entrance gatepiers to drive; rock faced rustication; chamfered coping stone; quadrant wall.
B-Group with U-plan stable block and attached walled garden to N of house (see separate List). Colton House replaces an earlier house which is present on the 1st Edition OS Map; possibly incorporating earlier fabric. The sundial and stables are possibly contemporary with the earlier house.
Other nearby listed buildings