This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9475 / 55°56'51"N
Longitude: -3.1948 / 3°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 325482
OS Northings: 673364
OS Grid: NT254733
Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.CG
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.WRVX
Entry Name: 67-71 (Odd Nos) Grassmarket & 9-11 (Odd Nos) Gilmour Close, Including Stair Tower to Rear
Listing Date: 12 June 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395259
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47869
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, 1875, with alterations and additions by James Jerdan, 1889-90 (see Notes). 4-storey 4-bay symmetrical tenement block with Scots Baronial details. 2 crowstepped gables with truncated apex stacks; former shops at ground floor (now lodging house cafe). Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings. Moulded cill course at 1st and 3rd floors. Original shop fronts with tripartite shoulder-arched windows flanking timber panelled door with plate glass fanlight in shoulder-arched opening. Corniced and consoled windows in moulded surrounds at 1st floor; bracketed projecting cills and moulded segmental relieving arches to 2nd floor windows; paired windows in gabled dormerheads; small round-arched gabletted windows at apex. Tall pitched-roofed brick stair tower with stone crowsteps and corniced stacks to rear (see Notes).
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans.
Built as lodging houses for the poor, with shops to ground floor. The MacGibbon and Ross plan shows a series of little flats with narrow corridors with doors to external cast-iron balconies linked to stair towers, with external WC's at each level. Each shop had a single storey top-lit saloon to rear. James Jerdan's alterations of 1889 show the space opened up and turned into long dormitories, by the use of cast-iron beams, and the building of one tall brick stair tower with a cistern room and 'director's room' at the top. These alterations reflect the huge influx of immigrant labour (mainly from Ireland) in the later 19th century, many of whom ended up in the Grassmarket. Restored 1998.
Other nearby listed buildings