This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9491 / 55°56'56"N
Longitude: -3.2049 / 3°12'17"W
OS Eastings: 324851
OS Northings: 673554
OS Grid: NT248735
Mapcode National: GBR 8LG.9W
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.RQ1P
Entry Name: King's Stables Road, St Cuthbert's Church Halls, Including Boundary Walls, Railings, Gates, Gatepiers and Lamp Standards
Listing Date: 29 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395272
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47883
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
McArthy and Watson, 1893. 2-storey 4-bay asymmetrical hall with Gibbsian details; lower 2-storey 2-bay gabled house (3 storeys to rear) to right, with small finialled louvred, ogee-roofed timber belfry/ventilator. Bull-faced squared and snecked cream sandstone with ashlar dressings. Tall piended roof; projecting pedimented entrance porch to 1st floor hall to left, over-arching pend. Moulded string course between ground and 1st floors; moulded eaves course. Long and short quoins. Gibbsian surrounds to 1st floor windows.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated to ground; timber panelled door in moulded surround in 2nd bay from right. Projecting porch, entrance to 1st floor hall, to left; 2-leaf timber panelled door in pedimented, channelled doorpiece, flanked by Doric pilasters. Paired windows in Gibbsian surrounds with relieving arches over to 1st floor hall. Lower 2-storey block to right: tripartite windows at ground and 1st floors of projecting gabled bay to right
NW ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated to ground; timber panelled door in corniced surround with relieving arch over in 2nd bay from left. Small windows (some blocked) to 1st. Serliana with Gibbsian surround breaking eaves cornice; circular louvred opening in pedimented gable above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: small windows to ground of main block; paired windows in tabbed surrounds with relieving arches over to 1st floor hall; Diocletian window to right. 2 carved panels with inscriptions and date (1894).
SE ELEVATION: small windows to ground, small tripartite window under eaves; tall corniced splayed wallhead stack.
Small-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Stone skews. Cast-iron down pipes. Tall corniced wallhead stacks to gabled block to right.
BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND LAMP STANDARDS: ashlar-coped rubble wall, cast-iron railings, corniced, panelled ashlar gatepiers, decorative cast-iron gates and lamp standards.
Built after a competition in 1893, to replace a previous building by MacGibbon and Ross, demolished due to railway construction.
Other nearby listed buildings