History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

34 and 36 Lauriston Place, Including Boundary Wall, Gate and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9452 / 55°56'42"N

Longitude: -3.1967 / 3°11'48"W

OS Eastings: 325354

OS Northings: 673103

OS Grid: NT253731

Mapcode National: GBR 8MJ.Z9

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VTXR

Entry Name: 34 and 36 Lauriston Place, Including Boundary Wall, Gate and Railings

Listing Date: 12 December 1974

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395281

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47891

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Circa 1819. 4-storey and basement 4-bay terraced classical tenement, slightly advanced from its neighbours to left and right and set back behind small garden. Cream ashlar, channelled to ground, lightly droved above and to basement, rubble to rear. Dividing band between ground and 1st floors; cill courses to 1st and 3rd; moulded eaves course raised to sides and centre. Stone steps and platts with cast-iron railings over-arching basement area to timber panelled doors in 2 outer right bays (umbrella fanlight to left). Round-arched recessed openings to doors and windows at ground. Corniced and architraved surrounds to 1st floor windows; projecting cills and moulded surrounds to 2nd.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced rendered stacks with circular cans to ridge.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: low coped ashlar boundary wall with spear-headed cast-iron railings; spear-headed finials to cast-iron gate; pine cone finials to gateposts.

Statement of Interest

B group comprises Nos 8, 10-14, 16 and 18, 20-24, 26 and 28, 30 and 32, 34 and 36, and 38-44 Lauriston Place. Nos 16-36 were built across the front garden of Mr Keir's 18th century villa (marked on Kincaid's 1784 map of Edinburgh), demolished by 1820. Together they form an imposing ensemble, with advanced and enriched pavilions to centre and ends. Keir Street, Heriot Place and Nos 8-44 Lauriston Place were restored (including the removal of shops built out in the late 19th century in Lauriston Place) by TM Grey for the Lister Housing Co-operative in 1977-81, and awarded Saltire Society and Civic Trust Awards in 1982 and 1983 respectively.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.