History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

85-93 (Odd Nos) Lothian Road

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9465 / 55°56'47"N

Longitude: -3.2054 / 3°12'19"W

OS Eastings: 324816

OS Northings: 673260

OS Grid: NT248732

Mapcode National: GBR 8LH.6V

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.QSTQ

Entry Name: 85-93 (Odd Nos) Lothian Road

Listing Date: 29 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395284

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47894

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

David MacGibbon, 1864. 4-storey 5-bay plain classical terraced tenement with later shops at ground floor. Coursed ashlar painted black at 1st floor). Cornice above shops; cill course at 3rd floor level; moulded eaves cornice. Modern shop-fronts; modern door to upper storeys in centre bay. Windows in lugged and bracketed surrounds to 1st and 2nd floors; bipartites in outer bays.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Shouldered wallhead stack with circular cans; corniced ridge stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Interest

Nos 71-103 Lothian Road were designed by David MacGibbon (Thomas Hamilton's successor as advisor to the Merchant Company) to complete Burn's plain palace block, echoing his design for Nos 125-165 Lothian Road (formerly known as Downie Place), and forming an impressive piece of urban design in an important situation. On Kincaid's 1784 map Lothian Road is marked as 'New Road' and flanked by fields. A plan similar to what was built for this area, with a square to be known as Orchardfield Square where the Usher Hall is, marked 'This square is not built but is intended,' is on Ainslie's 1804 map. Wood's 1820 plan shows the area more or less as eventually built. The Merchant Company adopted William Burn's plan for the Grindlay's Orchardfield estate in 1820. The 1877 OS map shows this block (Lothian Road, Grindlay Street, Bread Street) complete.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.