This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1427 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.1183 / 2°7'5"W
OS Eastings: 392941
OS Northings: 805765
OS Grid: NJ929057
Mapcode National: GBR S8L.SZ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.FQJP
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVJ+3M
Entry Name: 21 Albyn Place, Albyn Hospital, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395310
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47912
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Earlier 19th century; additions and alterations G Bennett Mitchell, 1929. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay classical villa now part of Albyn Hospital. Tooled coursed granite finely finished to margins and dressings. Ashlar Base course; architraved windows to ground floor; 1st floor cill course; eaves course and blocking course; strip quoins; piend-roofed canted dormers.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; flat-roofed porch advanced to centre bay of ground floor, supported on Ionic columns, ashlar steps lead to 2-leaf glazed timber door with fanlight above; tripartite windows with panelled aprons flanking to left and right; regular fenestration to 1st floor; skylight to centre of attic floor, flanked to left and right by dormers. Recessed wings adjoining to outer left and right (see below).
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; piend-roofed 3-storey wing adjoining to left, regular fenestration to left return; corrugated perspex addition to outer right.
S ELEVATION: ground floor not seen (2000). Bowed bay to right; regular fenestration to 1st floor, rectangular dormer to centre of attic floor, flanked by 2 canted dormers; 1929 addition, G Bennett Mitchell to outer left, canted windows through each floor.
E ELEVATION: gabled; obscured by 1929 additions; brick faced at ground floor; window to 2nd and attic floors of right return; square-plan tower to re-entrant angle to right, doorway to right return, roof breaking eaves.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Coped gablehead stacks with circular and octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped ashlar and rubble boundary walls shared with 22-23 and 24 Albyn Place (see separate listings); square-plan piers at angles; high coped rubble walls to rear.
Albyn Place was originally built on the lands of Rubislaw, owned by James Skene. Skene lived in Albyn Place in Edinburgh (hence the same name in Aberdeen), and commissioned Archibald Elliot to prepare a scheme for Aberdeen based on the New Town in Edinburgh. Albyn Place was the only part of Elliot's scheme to be executed, the remainder being remodelled by Archibald Simpson just over a decade later, and again in the 1840s. 21 Albyn Place is a good example of an early 19th century villa, built as Aberdeen expanded westwards in the 19th century. 21 Albyn Place is now part of Albyn Hospital, with 22 and 23 and 24 Albyn Place (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings