History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 Alford Place (Formerly 2-6 Holburn Street)

A Category C Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1428 / 57°8'33"N

Longitude: -2.1122 / 2°6'43"W

OS Eastings: 393311

OS Northings: 805768

OS Grid: NJ933057

Mapcode National: GBR S9G.CH

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.JQFN

Entry Name: 1 Alford Place (Formerly 2-6 Holburn Street)

Listing Date: 5 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395315

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47916

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Mid to late 19th century. Coursed grey granite ashlar. Dividing band courses; 1st and 2nd floor cill courses; eaves course; eaves blocking course; rectangular dormers to attic floor.

N (ALFORD PLACE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; 4 shop windows to pilastered ground floor; regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors; 3 dormers to attic floor. Outer left angle chamfered, Tuscan columned doorway, with 2-leaf gate, modern glazed door, decorative fanlight; 3-light canted windows to 1st and 2nd floors above, balustraded parapet surmounting, roofline stepped-up to attic floor, tripartite window. Curved angle to outer right, glazed modern door to ground floor, regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors.

NW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration; harled addition advanced to right.

SW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.

SE (HOLBURN STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay block to right, shop windows to pilastered ground floor, regular fenestration to 1st, 2nd and attic floors.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate mansard roof with lead ridges. Corniced wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: ground floor refurbished as bank; remainder not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Prominently situated at the W end of Union Street. Formerly comprising 2 separate banks, what was 8 Holburn Street (see separate listing) is the later of the 2, built by J B Nicol, partner of William Kelly, which is particularly well detailed. Under ownership of the TSB bank (2000).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.