This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9703 / 55°58'12"N
Longitude: -2.9641 / 2°57'50"W
OS Eastings: 339919
OS Northings: 675670
OS Grid: NT399756
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.WS0J
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.F6QG
Entry Name: High Street, Former Salt Store
Listing Date: 3 May 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395318
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47923
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cockenzie and Portseton
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Preston, Seton and Gosford
Traditional County: East Lothian
Probably 17th century in origin with later alterations. Rectangular-plan 2-storey store. Red and yellow sandstone rubble, with later harling and brick repairs.
N (SHORE) ELEVATION: gabled with large segmental arched doorway to centre with giant masonry blocks forming jambs and voussoirs; deep-set door (2 leaf, modern). Square-headed, lower opening to left. Loft door in gablehead with timber lintel (now blocked).
S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: piend-roofed elevation; door to centre flanked by windows; window breaking eaves above door, with swept dormer. Later lean-to addition to right.
W ELEVATION: harled to piended S end to right with door at ground and window above, buttress. Substantial low stone buttress to centre. Opening at ground to left of centre with voussoirs; further opening to left with later loft door and window breaking eaves above.
Timber sash and case and hopper windows to S elevation with metal grilles. Red pantiles to piended roof and to wallhead as guttering to end, otherwise corrugated sheet metal and rooflights.
INTERIOR: Little internal detailing survives.
The salt store may have been connected with the neighbouring Cockenzie House and the saltworks of the Earls of Winton from 1680, purchased by the Cadell family in 1722. By 1793, this major industry for the burgh evidenced 11 pans. Although altered especially to the street, this salt store is an important fragment of the once burgeoning industry in the area and contains early fabric which is similarly of special interest.
Other nearby listed buildings