This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.144 / 57°8'38"N
Longitude: -2.1351 / 2°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 391922
OS Northings: 805907
OS Grid: NJ919059
Mapcode National: GBR S66.TY
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5PJQ
Entry Name: 28 Forest Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395320
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47925
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Brown and Watt, 1895. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay, L-plan villa with service wing to rear. Tooled coursed grey granite with finely finished margins to NE elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Base course; chamfered reveals; eaves swept down to NE elevation.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay advanced to right, 3-light canted window to centre of ground floor; bipartite window to 1st floor, squat segmental-arched triple window set in gablehead, with corniced cill, stone finial to apex; 3-stage circular-plan entrance tower breaking eaves to re-entrant angle to left, gabled porch to 1st stage, segmental-arched doorway, with moulded reveals, panelled timber door with diamond-leaded upper panels, leaded tripartite fanlight, window to centre of 2nd stage, band of square windows below eaves with ogee lintels, conical tower with fishscale slates and lead finial. Window to centre of recessed bay to left, flanked to right by small window, deeply chamfered outer left angle with window to centre, oversized corbel above to form right angle, gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor of bay to left, tiny vessica detail in gablethead.
NW ELEVATION: irregular openings, 2-storey wing to outer right, doorway to left return.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay; gabled bay to left, stair window to right of 1st floor, with replacement stained glass, 2-storey service wing adjoining to left, irregular fenestration; flat-roofed addition to right, stepped back at 1st floor, band of windows floor; broad rectangular dormer to attic floor above.
SE ELEVATION: gabled; bipartite window set in gablehead.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows and sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes. Green slate roof with lead ridges. Stone skews with gableted skewputts. Coped gablehead and wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: skirting boards, doors architraves and cornicing survive; timber staircase with barley sugar turned balusters.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan obelisk gatepiers to NE, with low granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 28 Forest Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Brown and Watt, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 28 Forest Road is particularly well detailed, with fine entrance tower, the band of windows below the eaves suggesting the influence of Alexander Thomson. Also of note is the deeply chamfered angle to the E and the leaded glass door.
Other nearby listed buildings