This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1462 / 57°8'46"N
Longitude: -2.1365 / 2°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 391836
OS Northings: 806155
OS Grid: NJ918061
Mapcode National: GBR S60.BT
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4NV0
Plus Code: 9C9V4VW7+F9
Entry Name: 66 Forest Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395321
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47926
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Brown and Watt, 1900. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite finely finished to margins of E elevation; rubble to remainder. Rough-faced base course; 1st floor cill course; overhanging eaves.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to ground floor of bay to right, curvilinear carved lintel with keystone above, panelled timber door with fanlight above, 2 small stained glass windows flanking to left and right, single window with bowed cill to 1st floor; 4-light canted window through ground and 1st floors of bay to left, parapet breaking eaves.
N ELEVATION: gabled; window to centre; wing adjoining to right.
W ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; openings to centre of ground and 1st floors.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Corniced gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative top hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: scrolled granite gatepiers to E, low coped wall between surmounted by railings; rubble walls to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 66 Forest Road is part of the later 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Brown and Watt, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Although simple in design, 66 Forest Road has detailing such as the curvilinear carved lintel, bowed cills and stained glass which are characteristic of the architecture of Brown and Watt. The scrolled gatepiers are also of note.
Other nearby listed buildings