History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holburn Street at Alford Lane, Holburn Central Parish Church, Including Church Hall, March Stone (Forming Quoin on W Gable) and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1422 / 57°8'32"N

Longitude: -2.1126 / 2°6'45"W

OS Eastings: 393284

OS Northings: 805711

OS Grid: NJ932057

Mapcode National: GBR S9D.Y5

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.JR71

Entry Name: Holburn Street at Alford Lane, Holburn Central Parish Church, Including Church Hall, March Stone (Forming Quoin on W Gable) and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Last Amended: 5 March 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395322

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47927

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

Alexander Fraser, 1836; Hall: W J Smith, 1881; Tower, 1891. 2-storey, 3-bay classical church with tower and halls adjoining. Coursed granite ashlar; Aberdeen bond granite rubble to rear. Base course; architraved windows; dividing band course; eaves course.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay pedimented central block, regular fenestration to ground floor, 3 segmental-arched windows to 1st floor in pilastered bays, pediment surmounted with central tablet reading "1836 1903", crucifix to apex. 2-storey 3-bay Italianate church hall adjoining to right, 2-leaf panelled timber door to left of ground floor, tall letterbox fanlight, flanked by 2 windows with projecting cills to right, 3 round-arched windows with panelled aprons and keystone details to 1st floor, eaves blocking course with central tablet stepped-up reading "1881". Square-plan 4-stage tower adjoining to outer left, round-arched pilastered doorway with keystone detail to ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door, simple fanlight, bipartite window to left return; pedimented windows to centre of E and S elevations of 2nd stage, deep cornice above; small bipartite windows to centre of E and S elevations of 3rd stage, datestone to E reading "1891", geometric blind balustrade above; octagonal 4th stage set back, round-arched openings to each facet with impost and keystone details, domed lead roof with octagonal lantern and finial to apex.

N ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.

W ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay; stained glass windows; regular fenestration to ground floor, segmental-arched windows to 1st floor. Hall adjoining to outer left, circular window to centre of rubble ground floor, harled addition to 1st floor with 7-light window.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; 2 bays to left with tower adjoining to right (see above), regular fenestration to ground floor, 2 round-arched windows to 1st floor, flanking bay to left stepped back, doorway and window to ground floor, single round-arched window to 1st floor, outer left angle decoratively chamfered; bay to outer left stepped-back, infilled segmental-arched opening near-centre, March Stone reading CR (City Royalty) to outer quoin.

Predominantly stained glass and leaded windows, some timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with blocked ashlar skewputts. Cast-iron ridge vent. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: fine stained glass windows throughout, those to E by Douglas Strachan. Principal entrance through tower, panelled below dado, dog-leg stair with decorative newel post and iron balusters, fine reeded handrail on metal brackets; some original panelled timber doors survive. Nave split into 2 levels (later alteration), nave at ground floor with predominantly modern fittings, hall above, with moulded plasterwork ceiling. Iron dog-leg stair with twisted balusters to hall, small chapel with circular stained glass window to rear of hall, boarded timber below dado.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped granite walls to S; brick coped rubble walls to SW and W.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Holburn Central Parish Church (originally known as Holburn Chapel of Ease) was built as a simple rectangular-plan church, as part of the Church Extension Movement. It was built to serve the expanding community to the W of Aberdeen, on a site which at the time was known as Bawbie Law's Corner. The architect, Alexander Fraser (c. 1790-1841) was also a landscape painter and drawing master, and associated with James Giles (1801-1870). The six stained glass windows to the E of the church were funded by public subscription. The windows are by Douglas Strachan, and were dedicated in 1903 to the memory of the 242 Gordon Highlanders who fell in the South African War. March stones mark the inner and outer marches (boundaries) of Aberdeen, defined by marked stones possibly dating from 1698. The original stones were replaced circa 1790 by the present stones, numbered 1-48. The next group, were replaced in the early 19th century, which was presumably when this stone was set into the church quoin. This particular stone was part of the inner marches, CR standing for City Royalty, and is thought to be among the older stones (Cruickshank & Dunn).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.