This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7795 / 55°46'46"N
Longitude: -3.9561 / 3°57'21"W
OS Eastings: 277413
OS Northings: 655755
OS Grid: NS774557
Mapcode National: GBR 01TM.91
Mapcode Global: WH4QR.6ZDQ
Entry Name: Wishaw, Glasgow Road, St Patricks Roman Catholic Church and Presbytery Including Stone Steps and Concourse
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395340
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47941
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Pugin and Pugin, 1897. Gabled, basilica-plan gothic church, paired 4-light lancets above doors to centre West end elevation, large multi-foil to crossgable. Bull-faced red sandstone coursers with ashlar margins. Hoodmoulds to principal openings. Flowing tracery. Moulded eaves course.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-bays to entrance in gabled end of nave, pointed arch doors with 3-light cusped fanlights, with traceried 4-light windows above in panelled pointed arch recess to each bay. 3 saw-tooth coped buttresses dividing bays; cusped statue niche to upperstage of central buttress, white stone statue of St Patrick on red sandstone octagonal plinth. Multifoils to dial pattern in gablehead oculus, small cusped window at apex; cross finial.
Flanking bays to single storey aisles. Single bay to right, return to S elevation. Gabled bay to left, with 4-light pointed arch window quatrefoil to gablehead, cross finial; bowed return of baptistry to outer left bay, bay to far left, lancets.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bays, canted apse, piended roof; buttressed central bay, rose window, 2-light lancets to flanking bays; flanking lean-to single storey aisles, multifoil oculus to centre of left aisle; aisle to right obscured by single storey lean-to sacristry set at right angle to aisle. 3-bay sacristy to left with 2-light segmental arch windows with stone mullions, except single window to left bay, wallhead chimney.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 8-bay nave; 1st bay from left blind, segmental arch hood moulding over tripartite stone mullioned segmental windows to rest, engaged buttresses between bays 7 and 8, recessed statue niche with plinth. Aisle; gable breaking eaves to first bay to left, bipartite stair window above small cusped window. Paired narrow windows to remaining bays, bull-faced plain pilasters dividing bays, except last bay; hood moulded, paired segmental arch bipartites with stone mullions and curvilinear tracery.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror to S except first bay right; advanced bowed baptistry bay abutting gabled roof with skews, as W elevation. Centre bays to aisles partially obscured by low, flat roof block, single cusped narrow windows.
Diamond lead pane windows. Graduated grey/green slate, concrete pantiles to aisles, lead flashing and filigreed cresting. Coped parapet to west gable, cross finial to E end of roof ridge, Moulded and decorated cast-iron guttering and hoppers. Short flight of stone steps from pavement leading to flagged area before W elevation.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
PRESBYTERY: 2-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan gabled villa. Red bull-faced sandstone. Regular fenestration, bipartite pointed arch windows with stone mullions. Finialed gables breaking eaves to rear. Modern double glazing. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped skews with scroll skewputts. Coped gable end stacks.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Part of Pugin and Pugin's chain of churches built for the Diocese of Glasgow between 1880 and 1910. The Basilica plan had become the British Catholic standard by 1860 after E W Pugin and always laid out according to a set formula that is :1. West end porch or narthex supporting a gallery for the choir and organ, 2. Baptistry or mortuary chapel at west end of aisles, 3. Wide aisles with widely spaced arcades to nave, 4. Shallow chancel to east end with side altars and altars to east end of aisles, 5. Spacious sacristies. St Patrick Sheildmuir follows this formula in plan and is most similar to St Peter Patrick, Glasgow, 1898 in its West End elevation. St Patrick Sheildmuir was the practice's first church with an asymmetrical elevation.
Other nearby listed buildings