This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.777 / 55°46'37"N
Longitude: -3.9136 / 3°54'48"W
OS Eastings: 280069
OS Northings: 655404
OS Grid: NS800554
Mapcode National: GBR 113M.JX
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.V2K2
Entry Name: Wishaw, 161 Kirk Road Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395345
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47946
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1871. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical, rectangular plan gabled. Sandstone ashlar with projecting ashlar quoins; 1871 date stone in gable wallhead; hierarchical fenestration with elaborate Renaissance mouldings and carving. Base course, cill band course at 1st floor, eaves band and cornice; segmental-headed openings with carved ornament to spandrels, pilaster mullions, margins and billeted cornice.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stone steps to central door, round arched entrance with projecting keystone, rolled moulding to reveal; advanced gabled bay to right; full-height canted, mullioned window. Tripartite window to left at ground; 1st floor windows off-centre left and outer left with obelisk-finialed pedimented dormerheads; outer left window flanked by carved scroll detail.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: rough dressed sandstone; irregular fenestration; large rectangular stained glass window at 1st floor to centre; single storey office wing to right with piended roof.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: rough dressed sandstone; irregular fenestration (3 windows).
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: rough dressed sandstone; irregular fenestration.
Plate glass timber sash and case. Grey slate roof; ashlar piended coped skews; ashlar gablet coped skews with bracketed skew putts; ashlar coped stacks to E and W. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: largely intact good Victorian interior. Timber panelled vestibule door with segmental fanlight; timber skirting boards and timber panelled doors with brass handles; timber banister; scroll cornice and central roseto drawing room; large leaded stained glass to stairwell.
BOUNDARY WALL: low modern brick wall.
Originally built for local colliery owner now the property of the Church of Scotland: Chalmers Parish Church Manse.
Other nearby listed buildings