This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7938 / 55°47'37"N
Longitude: -3.9129 / 3°54'46"W
OS Eastings: 280164
OS Northings: 657268
OS Grid: NS801572
Mapcode National: GBR 113F.NX
Mapcode Global: WH4QR.VMWR
Entry Name: Wishaw, 325 North Dryburgh Road, Bellside Lodge Including Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395372
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47960
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Murdostoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1890. Single storey, 3-bay asymmetrical, cottage ornee with gabled bay to right overhanging eaves with decorative pierced barge boarding. Coursed sandstone to principal elevation, rubble to rear with ashlar quoins and window margins, ashlar base course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: studded timber door to centre with decorative cast-iron strap hinges, plain dressed ashlar jambs and lintel and penticed slated hood; advanced gabled bay to right with 8-point star panel with initials JH to gablehead; canted window with half piended roof. Bipartite window to left with stugged architrave and gable breaking eaves.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 diminishing gabled bays, that to outer right as service porch; squared random rubble advanced gable end bay to left with rectangular.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: windows to centre and right with stugged architrave; canted window to right with ashlar stone margins.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration.
8-pane timber sash and case windows remaining to side and rear, modern out of character windows to front. Concrete tiles, ashlar coped stacks, cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALLS: ashlar dwarf wall with saddle-back coping; flower-finialled cast-iron railings.
Former lodge of the Coltness Estate. 'JH' carved on the tympanum panel stands for James Houldsworth whose family bought the estate in 1848. The Houldsworths were wealthy Yorkshire mill owners who moved to Lanarkshire to join the coal and iron manufacturing boom of the mid 19th century.
Other nearby listed buildings