This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6701 / 55°40'12"N
Longitude: -3.7626 / 3°45'45"W
OS Eastings: 289237
OS Northings: 643254
OS Grid: NS892432
Mapcode National: GBR 225W.67
Mapcode Global: WH5SK.5RK2
Entry Name: Hyndford Road, Former Lady Hozier Convalescent Home and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 9 May 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395390
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47972
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John L Murray, 1891. T-plan former convalescent home: 2-storey, 11-bay main elevation with projecting ends; 6-bay wings at ends; central range leads to 7-bay rear wing: 2-storey, 3-bay central section with single storey, 2-bay ends. Rubble; squared and droved quoins and margins to openings. Band course; canted windows at 1st, 5th, 7th and 11th bays; paired gableheads at centre.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 4-centred arched doorway with short flight of steps; plaque above engraved with 'Lady Hozier Convalescent Home';
single window above; flanking canted windows at ground floor; single windows above; blocked attic windows in gableheads; flanking 3-bay ranges with regular fenestration - bipartite windows at end bays at ground; single bay projections at end of elevation; canted bay at ground floor; single window above; single windows on inside returns.
W ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay wing; regular fenestration; door in 3rd bay from left; wall attached between 2nd and 3rd bays; door and 1st floor window on left return; fire escape on rear elevation.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: central range with 5-bays at left and right; door in 2nd bay from centre; regular fenestration; aisled central passage (once glazed; currently boarded) extends out at right angle attaching to rear wing. WING: 2-storey, 3-bay central range with regular
fenestration; single storey, 2-bay wings at ends; bipartite windows to left wing; 2 single windows of different size to right wing; blind returns; 2 windows on rear returns.
E ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay wing; regular fenestration; door
and stairs in 4th bay from left; windows on right return; fire escape on rear elevation.
Modern 2-pane glazing. Slate roof; straight skews; bracketed eaves to gables - more decorative to main building; 6 slender, coped stacks with cans along roof; broader stack to rear wing.
INTERIOR: simple corridor structure with bedrooms leading off; half-timbered walls; timber surrounds to doors. Cast-iron brackets to passage.
Lady Hozier Convalescent Home was built from 1891 on the site of redundant military barracks. The original proposal had been to convert the barracks into a convalescent home. Sir William Hozier, the Convenor of Lanarkshire, believed the suggestion, which was made by a local resident, was a very good one and committed the council to pursuing the issue.
However, at the intervention of Lady Hozier, Sir William was persuaded to purchase the barracks himself. The next task was to find a body that would undertake the management of the building following its conversion. Fortuitously, Glasgow Western Infirmary was anxiously searching for suitable accommodation for convalescing patients. The offer of the Lanark property, from Sir William to the managers of GWI, was accepted. The conversion of the barracks into convalescent accommodation was the most obvious course to take but proved too difficult. Thus a purpose built home was built at a cost of?6,000 by a local architect, James Murray. The main part of the home
housed administrative offices, the wings provided segregated female and male accommodation and the rear wing was service accommodation. The action taken by Sir William Hozier was applauded in the county and in show of the county's gratitude, the building was named after his wife. The Lady Hozier Convalescent Home was operational until the early 1980s, when it was converted into a business centre.
Other nearby listed buildings