This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7744 / 55°46'27"N
Longitude: -3.9153 / 3°54'55"W
OS Eastings: 279953
OS Northings: 655114
OS Grid: NS799551
Mapcode National: GBR 113N.4W
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.T4R3
Entry Name: Wishaw, Young Street, St Ignatius Roman Catholic Church Including Boundary Wall and Gate Pier
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395392
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47975
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
George Goldie, 1865; S aisle Bruce and Hay, 1906. Gothic church. Basilica-plan, aligned E-W; square 3-stage bell-tower with spire lean-to aisles and apse. Squared and tooled yellow sandstone with ashlar margins. Projecting eaves, coped parapet gables. Hoodmoulds to principal openings.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-bays, buttressed, gable end. Lancets to ground; large 3-light pointed arch to gablehead, geometric tracery. Set-back gabled porch to right; pointed entrance arch to centre, rolled moulding supported on engaged columns, quatrefoil set within a square moulded panel above square headed door; 2 narrow vertical vents to apex; cross finial; oversize crocketed buttress to right.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: semicircular chancel; dividing band, gabled, cusped projecting niche to upper centre, 3 lancets to each side, projecting eaves; flanked by returns to aisles, large oculi with unusual cusped star to centre.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: belltower to centre-left, blank return of porch to left, 6-bay aisle to right, alternating advanced, gabled chapels and paired lancets. Each porch with paired lancets, quatrefoil to crossgable and cross finial except chapel next to tower.
TOWER: 3-stage symmetrical belltower; large lancet arch former main entrance to centre ground, roll-moulded to reveal supported on short engaged columns, outer gable entrance filled with paired lancets and multifoil; abutted by porch to left and aisle to right. Dividing band to 2nd-stage at nave eaves height; narrow recessed blind arcade to 2nd-stage; dividing band to 3rd-stage; plate tracery 2-light pointed arch opening with timber louvring, rolled moulding, raised quoins and engaged columns to reveals, large stone brackets to top; dog-tooth cornice; projecting stone gabled lucarnes to spire, alternate bands of plain ashlar and carved fishscales, finialed.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: paired lancets to bays except advanced gabled porch to centre, paired lancets, quatrefoil to apex and cross finial; advanced wing of former boilerhouse to far right: buttresses and inset panel to gable end, battered wallhead chimney to right return.
Diamond leaded glass, lilies pattern stained glass to N chapel, modern stained glass to E end. Coped skews with gabled kneelers. Graded grey slates, decorative wrought-iron cresting to E end, lead flashing, decorative earthenware cresting to S aisle and boilerhouse roofs; moulded cast-iron rainwater goods with square hoppers.
INTERIOR: 4-bay nave, pointed arch arcading to aisles supported on columns with stiff leaf capitals; wooden gallery to W end bay; wooden panelled screen to W end; mosaic floor with cross motif to ground of tower off nave
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIER: coped squared sandstone wall to E, S and W, single octagonal gatepier to W with blind cusped arcade to upper stage, cornice and pyramidal cap. Wrought-iron finial. Wrought iron gate.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Described in the Catholic Year Book as "a handsome edifice partaking mostly of the Gothic style". Probably the church of most interest in Wishaw. Due to a succession of Dutch priests there is also good collection of Dutch religious sculpture some dating from the 17th century. The original chancel was remodelled following changes in the order of mass and subsequently the original fixed stone font can now be found smashed in the church yard. The south aisle was added by Bruce and Hay, Glasgow in 1906 in the same style. This addition moved the entrance from the, originally free-standing, bell tower to a new adjacent porch facing west to the street. The Basilica plan had become the British Catholic standard by 1860 after E W Pugin and always laid out according to a set formula: West end porch or narthex supporting a gallery for the choir and organ. Baptistry or mortuary chapel at west end of aisles. Wide aisles with widely spaced arcades to nave. Shallow chancel to east end with side altars and altars to east end of aisles. Spacious sacristy. Upgraded B to A July 2001.
Other nearby listed buildings