History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bonkle, 1 Church Road

A Category C Listed Building in Cambusnethan, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7921 / 55°47'31"N

Longitude: -3.8577 / 3°51'27"W

OS Eastings: 283622

OS Northings: 656978

OS Grid: NS836569

Mapcode National: GBR 11HG.MK

Mapcode Global: WH4QS.QP63

Entry Name: Bonkle, 1 Church Road

Listing Date: 30 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395398

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47980

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cambusnethan

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Fortissat

Parish: Cambusnethan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Cleland

Description

1813. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled former toll-house. Semicircular-plan columned porch with piended roof. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Base course, cavetto moulded cornice.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf door to centre with steps up to advanced semicircular porch; 4 plain Doric columns supporting entablature, piended roof. Bipartite windows with stone mullions, projecting cills and penticed stone canopies to flanking bays.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: completely obscured by modern addition, including full-length box dormers.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: harled.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window, harled.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows to front, modern glazing to side and rear. Grey slates to front, box dormer to rear. Harled, coped stone gable end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Former toll house for the Edinburgh-Ayr road as it passed through the Allanton Estate, known locally as 'The Pillars'. The road switched its route to pass to the north of the house in 1817 when Allanton Loch was created flooding the old toll road. Built as part of the Stewarts of Allanton estate improvement programme 1800-1820. The North and South Lodges of James Gillespie Graham's Allanton House were built in a similar style with a semicircular columned porch but these have been lost.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.