This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7373 / 55°44'14"N
Longitude: -3.9214 / 3°55'16"W
OS Eastings: 279458
OS Northings: 650993
OS Grid: NS794509
Mapcode National: GBR 1213.T5
Mapcode Global: WH4R4.Q2W1
Plus Code: 9C7RP3PH+WC
Entry Name: Wishaw, Garrion Bridge, Garrionhurst
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395404
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47987
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1890. 2-storey, 3-bay, asymmetrical gabled villa. Square-plan tower with spire to E. Red ashlar sandstone with quoins, rybats, window margins and dividing bands in yellow sandstone. Base course, chamfered cills to openings, crowstepped gables with beak skewputts.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled bay to right, bipartite with stone mullion to ground, semicircular arched window above; half-gable lean-to bay to left, small square window to return; 2-stage tower behind, narrow window to 2nd-stage, narrow semicircular arched window to return with 3 blind, chamfered letterbox openings above, oval moulded cornice, spire. Gabled entrance porch to left of tower, partially engaged, shouldered doorway, small square window to return on left.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay to left, bipartite to ground with stone mullions, semicircular arched bipartite with stone mullion to 1st floor, blind oculus at apex. Single storey bay to right with stone mullioned bipartite to centre.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: steeply gabled, single storey advanced bay with broad scalloped and raked wallhead chimney.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: narrow window at ground outer right; small, single storey, advanced bay to centre, half-gabled, lean-to roof; buttressed and battered tall wallhead chimney; small semicircular arched window with gable breaking eaves to left. Advanced gabled bay to left, abutted to cottage; battered wallhead chimney to right corner, square window to right return; blind square window, square window and door to left return. Battered wallhead chimney to outer left; small semicircular arched window to ground.
Various timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Predominantly sandstone stacks with moulded coping.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
Originally the mill manager's house with attached mill workers cottages (heavily modified). Garrionhurst overlooks the site of where Garrion mill once stood. A mill operated on this site since the medieval period when it was run by the monks of Kelso in relation to the Bishop of Glasgow's summer residence at Garrion Tower (see separate listing). By the late nineteenth the mill operation was run by John Lee Brown who built the hamlet as exists today including Garrion and Mill cottages for mill workers, Garrionhurst and his own residence of Millfield with combined garage, chauffeur's and gardener's cottage (see separate listings). The mill was run by Lee from 1880 to 1918 when it was sold to a Mr MacGregor and was in use until the 1960s.
Other nearby listed buildings