This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7769 / 55°46'36"N
Longitude: -3.9024 / 3°54'8"W
OS Eastings: 280769
OS Northings: 655372
OS Grid: NS807553
Mapcode National: GBR 115M.XZ
Mapcode Global: WH4QZ.02Z5
Plus Code: 9C7RQ3GX+Q2
Entry Name: Cambusnethan, Kirk Road, Cambusnethan North Parish Church Including Church Hall and Boundary Wall (Church of Scotland Formerly Free Church)
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395444
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48015
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Forrester Steel, 1902. Gabled gothic church, cruciform-plan, square 3-stage belltower and round tower. Red bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar margins. Plate tracery, corbelled eaves course.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled clasped buttresses; three square windows to ground; large 5-light pointed-arch window to gallery, double chamfered reveal, stone mullions, lintel course, carved relief of flushwork Tree of Life flanked by quatrefoils to gablehead, blind arcading to gablet skewputts, foliate stone finial.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled, large quatrefoil window to centre; lower portion obscured by abutting church offices.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: advanced gable of transept to left, stepped 3-light window to centre, blank returns; narrow blank bay of chancel to left; 5-bay regularly fenestrated nave to right, Y-tracery windows, corbelled eaves course.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of E except tower abutting 2nd-bay from left and 3rd bay blank.
TOWERS: 3-stage square tower, gabled clasped buttresses, rectangular door to centre N, roll-moulded to reveal, small square window to 2nd-stage; dividing cornice between 2nd-stage and 3rd stage, battering to squared corner piers with chamfered panels and stone caps, round-arched tripartite openings to belfry, castellated parapet; recessed and truncated slated spire, lead finial. 2-stage stair round tower abutting tower to W; staggered arrow slit windows, corbelled eaves course, slated conical roof, lead finial.
Leaded square-pane windows. Graded grey slates, decorative ridge tiles, cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: gallery to N end of nave, blind trefoil arcading to balcony, clock to centre, supported by central column with foliate capital. Architraved pointed transept arches, blind pointed-arch to chancel wall. Timber roof truss on stone corbels.
CHURCH HALL: plain gabled building, en suite with church, connecting to E return of S transept. Entrance porch abutting transept, chamfered broad segmental arch door with pediment breaking eaves. Advanced rectangular-plan, gabled hall to right, stepped 3-light window to centre, jettied crossgable, squared and shouldered apex, rectangular bipartite with stone mullion and door to N return. Eaves course.
Diamond-pane leaded windows. Grey slates and lead flashing.
BOUNDARY WALL: low wall, bull-faced red sandstone, saddleback coping, modern railings; square-plan ashlar gatepiers with base course and quadripartite gabled caps.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. J F Steel, Wishaw, was active from around 1890-1920. Appears to have either trained under or joined the practice of Alexander Hinshelwood, Wishaw, the architect of Chalmers Parish Church (see separate listing). Steel was also responsible for the Coltness Masonic Lodge and Arts and Crafts style 11 Walter St, see separate listings.
Other nearby listed buildings