This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8263 / 55°49'34"N
Longitude: -4.4151 / 4°24'54"W
OS Eastings: 248813
OS Northings: 661871
OS Grid: NS488618
Mapcode National: GBR 3K.5ZCB
Mapcode Global: WH3P6.4TVB
Plus Code: 9C7QRHGM+GX
Entry Name: Thornly Park 22 Thornly Park Avenue, Monimail Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 10 July 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395475
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48051
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Paisley Southeast
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Charles Davidson, 1906. 2-storey, 3-bay classical villa (now divided into 2 flats) with swept piend and platform roof and minor extension. Red sandstone ashlar with similar dressings. Base course and mutuled eaves cornice. Keystoned moulded roundheaded doorcase and keystoned arcaded-effect 1st floor windows with hoodmoulds. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: deep-set doorcase under consoled canopy and 2-leaf panelled timber door to centre at ground
forming stepped link between flanking bays, each with rectangular-plan tripartite, cornice and blocking course; 1st floor with bipartite window to centre and tripartites to outer bays. Low flat-roofed garage slightly projecting at outer right with similar pedestrian door extension beyond forming access to upper floor.
W ELEVATION: small piend-roofed projection to centre at 1st floor with tripartite on return to left.
E ELEVATION: flat-roofed projection at ground with single window to centre at 1st floor.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar wallhead stacks with cans. Deeply overhanging eaves. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: part-glazed screen door with leaded flanking lights; timber-panelled hall and corniced doors; timber fireplaces.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped ashlar boundary walls with large rectangular-plan gatepiers.
Built for Daniel Lochhead. The staircase was removed on sub-division. In 1875 Charles Davidson worked in Paisley as an assistant of Peddie & Kinnear, and subsequently started his own practice at Terrace Building, Paisley. His early commissions include Camphill Public School and Carbrook School.
Other nearby listed buildings