This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3471 / 59°20'49"N
Longitude: -2.8999 / 2°53'59"W
OS Eastings: 348921
OS Northings: 1051543
OS Grid: HY489515
Mapcode National: GBR M460.VPR
Mapcode Global: XH8K9.JBX5
Entry Name: Holland House, Pair of Storehouses/Bothies to North -East
Listing Date: 8 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395527
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48095
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Papa Westray
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
Late 18th/early 19th century (that to W probably slightly earlier). Pair of rectangular-plan; single storey and loft; bothies/store houses to NE of Holland House; linked by later shared flight of steps to loft level to narrow passageway in between. Both with crowstepped gables. Coursed rubble (with remains of harling).
E STOREHOUSE/BOTHY: S ELEVATION: near-central centrance with plank door; entrance with plank door to left. Outer flanking windows to ground floor. Breaking-eaves dormer with catslide roof to outer left of loft. N ELEVATION: entrance to left of centre. Outer face of steps adjoins to left; linking to W store house/bothy. E ELEVATION: small rectangular-plan projection (containing steps) to right of ground floor; entrance to left to small shed below steps; plain timber door; base of steps to right return. Loft entrance to left of gable; window to right. W ELEVATION: shared steps to loft project ascending to left. Loft entrance to left of gable; boarded window to right.
W STOREHOUSE/BOTHY: S ELEVATION: entrance with plank door to right. N ELEVATION: entrance to left; blocked window to right. W ELEVATION: boarded window to left of loft. E ELEVATION: shared steps to loft project ascending to right. Loft entrance with plank door to gable.
Multipane fixed frame and top hung casement to S of E block (blocked/boarded elsewhere). Stone slate roofs. Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side (E and W) of W block; coped gablehead stack to W of E block; round cans.
INTERIORS: fireplaces to either end of 1st floor to W block; one to 1st floor at W end of E block.
B-Group with Holland House, Walled Garden, Dovecot, Windmill Stump and Store and Holland Farm (see separate list descriptions). An intact pair of storehouses with bothies at loft level, probably dating from the late 18th or early 19th century. The smaller one to the W with smaller and fewer windows would appear to be the earlier of the two. That to E was formerly used to store meal (Rendall) and also incorporated a dairy (present occupants Holland House). The Holland estate was bought by Thomas Traill, a soldier and a member of what became a large landholding family in the Orkneys, in 1637. It remained in the possession of the Traill family (apart from a gap between 1886 and 1928) until 1952. Many of the buildings on the estate were constructed by George (VI of Holland) and his son, Thomas (VII of Holland) between the early and later 19th century. The main block of the adjacent Holland House (see separate list description) was constructed between 1810-14. Both Holland House and Holland Farm opposite it retain some earlier sections, possibly dating from the 17th century.
Other nearby listed buildings