This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3469 / 59°20'48"N
Longitude: -2.8943 / 2°53'39"W
OS Eastings: 349236
OS Northings: 1051519
OS Grid: HY492515
Mapcode National: GBR M460.YNJ
Mapcode Global: XH8K9.MB4B
Entry Name: The Manse, Including Garden Walls to South and East
Listing Date: 23 July 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395532
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48099
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Papa Westray
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Papa Westray
Traditional County: Orkney
Circa 1843. 2-storey; 3-bay; rectangular-plan main block with 2 single storey wings (outbuildings) to rear (W), forming overall U-plan. Symmetrical former Free Church manse. Harled with some ashlar dressings.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with boarded timber door and rectangular fanlight with patterned glazing. Flanking windows to each floor and one above.
W ELEVATION: round-arched stair window to centre of main block. Blank gable ends of single storey wings project to either side. That to right projects further (extension) with short addition adjoining at right angles to right; 2 entrances (with boarded timber doors) to left return; that to right garage entrance. Entrance to right of right return to left wing.
N ELEVATION: window to each floor to right of main block. Single storey wing with boarded window adjoins to right; small window to left.
S ELEVATION: window to each floor to left of main block. Single storey wing adjoins to left; later water tank adjoins to right; 2 entrances (with boarded timber doors) to left; gable end of addition projects to outer left.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to main block; lying-pane glazing to stair window. Piended Welsh slate roof to main block; standard pitched Welsh slate roofs to single storey wings (part of that to S replaced in corrugated asbestos). W Elevation, single storey wing to right, gable faces S; crowstepped gable, flagstone roof. Pair of centrally situated ridge stacks with band courses to main block; one gablehead stack with band course to N single storey wing; round cans (missing to single storey wing).
INTERIOR: substantially unaltered, including plan. Large open-well staircase with cast-iron balustrade to centre. Doorcases with circular motifs at arrises to ground floor; 4-panel timber doors.
GARDEN WALLS TO S AND E: coursed rubble walls with rubble coping enclose rectangular-plan plots to S and E. Latter (front garden) with square-plan piers with pyramid coping at arrises and flanking entrance gateway to N side (replacement timber gate); inserted gateways to S and E sides.
B-Group with St Anne's Kirk (Church of Scotland). A substantial intact manse, built around 1843 together with the church. St Anne's was the first kirk in Scotland to be given to the Free Church by the local landowner (in the year of its establishment following the Disruption). This appears to have been the first manse on the island, which had formerly been served by the minister on the neighbouring island of Westray. It ceased to function as a manse in 1929 when St Anne's was absorbed into the Church of Scotland and ceased to maintain its own minister.
Other nearby listed buildings