History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hamilton Place, 45-50 (Inclusive Nos) Patriothall, Former St Cuthbert's Co-Operative Society Stable Yard, Including Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Inverleith, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9586 / 55°57'31"N

Longitude: -3.207 / 3°12'25"W

OS Eastings: 324736

OS Northings: 674616

OS Grid: NT247746

Mapcode National: GBR 8KC.WH

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.QH1C

Entry Name: Hamilton Place, 45-50 (Inclusive Nos) Patriothall, Former St Cuthbert's Co-Operative Society Stable Yard, Including Gatepiers

Listing Date: 2 August 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395536

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48104

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Inverleith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Thomas P Marwick, 1908. 4-storey 11-bay former stable block to W, 3-storey 5-bay former joiners' shop to S and flat-roofed 2-storey and basement store/workshop to N, built round cobbled court (now converted to flats). Red brick. Regularly fenestrated; segmental-arched openings.

STABLE BLOCK: 2-leaf timber doors to van sheds to ground floor. Concrete balcony (formerly covered) to 1st floor, and remains of balcony to 2nd floor; 2-leaf glazed doors with small-pane glazed fanlights to 1st and 2nd floors.

INTERIOR: white glazed bricks to 1st and 2nd floors. Cobbled floors (later covered in timber) to 1st and 2nd floors. Metal-framed timber roof to 3rd floor. Open stair to N.

JOINERS' SHOP: later timber lean-to to ground floor. Door at 1st floor; regularly fenestrated; wide small-pane glazed windows in segmental-arched surrounds.

N BUILDING: 2 storeys and basement; 6 bays to lane, 2 bays to court. Metal-framed timber roof to ramp leading to former van store at basement level. Railed flat roof (drying space for flats in Hamilton Place) with cupolas.

GATEPIERS: 2 tall coped red sandstone gatepiers to stable yard.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.

Statement of Interest

The Co-op site included the flats at Hamilton Place on either side of the pend (Nos 46-62, even Nos) with shops to ground floor, the brick buildings forming a court behind (former bakery, tailors' workshop etc), the U-plan block of social housing at Patriothall (Nos 1-42 inclusive, already listed) and the stable yard. The stables block had 12 stalls and 2 loose boxes at 1st and 2nd floors, accessed from a ramp at SE, and covered balconies. The hay loft to 3rd floor had a hay hoist and chute to N; there was a manure chute to SE. Kirkwood's 1817 map of Edinburgh shows Patriot Hall as a fairly large house with avenues of trees laid out around it, belonging to a Mr Muir. Such urban commercial stables are now a rare survival, redundant, of course, for their original purpose. John Hume provides information on the building type.

Converted to flats by 2006.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.