This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4271 / 55°25'37"N
Longitude: -2.7842 / 2°47'2"W
OS Eastings: 350469
OS Northings: 615075
OS Grid: NT504150
Mapcode National: GBR 950P.1C
Mapcode Global: WH7XG.6VGF
Plus Code: 9C7VC6G8+R8
Entry Name: 41 North Bridge Street
Listing Date: 2 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395537
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48105
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Hermitage
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
James Pearson Alison, 1899-1900. Asymmetrical 3-storey, 2-bay house with 2-storey canted window to left, crenellated parapet, and stone-mullioned and transomed windows. Coursed red sandstone with polished dressings. String course over 1st-floor windows; projecting canopy over 2nd-floor windows. Half-glazed door with fanlight in round-arched surround with curved, bracketed canopy in slightly projecting 2-storey bay with coped parapet; 2 windows above. Mullions and transoms to 4-light windows of canted bay to left; coped parapet. Bipartite window to right and quadripartite window to left at 2nd floor.
Modern windows to front; some 4-pane timber sash-and-case windows to rear. Coped red sandstone end stack to left with red clay cans. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods; decorative hopper.
INTERIOR: Timber staircase and balustrade with winders, flat balusters and square newels. Some timber chimneypieces, one carved and the others plain; some cornices.
B-Group comprises Nos 41, 43 & 43A, 45 & 47 and 49 North Bridge Street - see separate list entries.
A well-proportioned former house designed by Hawick's most prominent architect, James Pearson Alison, who was also responsible for the adjacent Nos 43 to 49. This building is more sober in design than the others, which are in a lively Dutch-inspired Art Nouveau style, but is visually united with them by the use of red sandstone, and the doorway in particular reflects at Alison's Arts and Crafts sympathies. Alison commenced practice in the town in 1888 and remained there until his death in 1932, during which period he was responsible for a large number of buildings of widely varying types and styles, including a considerable proportion of Hawick's listed structures.
The building is currently occupied by the North Bridge Dental Surgery (2007). List description revised and category changed from B to C(S) following resurvey (2008).
Other nearby listed buildings