This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7652 / 55°45'54"N
Longitude: -4.4955 / 4°29'43"W
OS Eastings: 243532
OS Northings: 655249
OS Grid: NS435552
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.9Z06
Mapcode Global: WH3PJ.XCG5
Plus Code: 9C7QQG83+3R
Entry Name: Uplawmoor, Neilston Road, Old School Hall Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395543
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48118
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Renfrewshire
Electoral Ward: Barrhead, Liboside and Uplawmoor
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Dated 1877. Tall single storey, 8-bay, rectangular-plan former primary school with pitch-roofed stone porches and pierced bargeboarding. Stugged ashlar with ashlar dressings. Raised base course. Basket-arched windows. Hoodmoulded, pointed-arch doors; relieving arches. Stone transoms and mullions, chamfered reveals.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Porches breaking eaves in penultimate bays, each with squat 2-stage battered buttresses flanking deep-set 2-leaf boarded timber door and multi-pane roundel with flanking carved rosettes on tympanum, bargeboarding of left porch with trefoil detail, that to right broken.
4 transomed windows to centre and further similar windows to outer bays.
NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: large transomed bipartite window to centre with pointed relieving arches above.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: transomed bipartite with flanking single transomed windows in bays to right of centre, those to left similar but outer left bay with small lean-to projection with tiny window on return to left.
Small 8-pane glazing pattern over 6-pane lower in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with pierced terracotta ridge tiles. Circular paired coped ashlar ridge stacks on battered base. Jerkinhead roof; overhanging eaves and decorative bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: single school room with small office (altered to kitchen).
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: stepped saddleback-coped ashlar boundary walls with low square-section gatepiers.
Former primary school, closed circa 2000. Built from local stone, this building replaced an earlier school room which operated from 1857 and became inadequate following the 1872 Education Act. The school is sited between the former schoolmaster's house and parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings