This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6649 / 55°39'53"N
Longitude: -3.9099 / 3°54'35"W
OS Eastings: 279958
OS Northings: 642915
OS Grid: NS799429
Mapcode National: GBR 124Y.94
Mapcode Global: WH4RB.XWB3
Entry Name: Kirkmuirhill Parish Church (United Presbyterian Church) Including Railings and Church Hall
Listing Date: 2 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395547
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48138
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Robert Baldie, 1868. Rectangular-plan Early English Gothic church. Rear church hall, circa 1899. Chamfered surrounds to windows and doors. Base course; eaves course. Rendered to NW and SW; tooled stone to SE and NE.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central pointed-arch door; roll-mouldings to pointed-arch door surround. Small single flanking lancet windows; continuous hoodmould to windows and door. Large tripartite lancet window above; hoodmould. Flanking full length offset buttresses. Lancet window to right; hoodmould with floral stop; buttress to far right. Square-plan tower to left; offset angle buttresses. 1st stage bipartite
window. Tall, bipartite lancet window above. Lucarnes in each face of tall broach spire.
NE ELEVATION: tall, bipartite lancet window to tower at 2nd stage. Offset angle buttresses to tower; 1st stage not seen. 5 tall lancet windows regularly spaced to left of tower. Single buttress to left of each window.
SE ELEVATION: partially obscured by hall. 2 lancet stained glass windows.
SW ELEVATION: bipartite lancet window to left; Y-tracery window above; hoodmould; flanking buttresses. 5 tall lancet windows to right; buttress to right of each window.
Lattice glazing to windows. Timber boarded 2-leaf door; decorative metal hinges. Pitched slate roof; kneelers. Celtic cross finial to NW and SE gable apex. Stone spire; ball and spike finial.
INTERIOR: 1st and 2nd World War memorial in vestibule; pilastered and corniced timber panel; bronze plaque inscribed with names of congregation or district members associated with the church, who died during the wars. Pointed-arch door leads into church; central block of pews; single block of pews to each side wall. Wainscoting. Gallery to NW; metal column supports; timber panelled frontage to balcony; brass rail. Platform to SE; organ on back wall; timber communion table; lectern, pulpit and font. 2 stained glass windows flank organ. Central stained glass to NE and SW.
RAILINGS AND CHURCH HALL: Plain metal railings to SW and N enclose church and grounds. Single storey, rectangular-plan church hall to rear (SE) aligned SW-NE (circa 1900). 2 windows to NE, 2 pointed-arch windows to SW. Pitched slate roof; kneelers. Smaller pitched vestry to NW; door and window to gable elevations. Larger modern (1960's) church hall to rear of earlier hall.
Situated in a prominent position by a road junction, the tall spire of Kirkmuirhill Parish Church is a landmark. When built, the church belonged to Lochanbank, which was later to be incorporated into the expanding Kirkmuirhill. The 2 SE stained glass windows designed by Robert Patterson were donated by Mrs Forrest in memory of her husband William and were installed in 1941. The E window by Douglas Hamilton was installed in 1955 by Mrs Stewart in memory of her husband Hugh, and the SW window by Linda
Fraser of the Stained Glass Studio Kilwinning was installed in 1986 and is a dedication to Rev Robert Kerr, minister of Kirkmuirhill Church for 47 years. The original furniture came from Muir Street Church in Hamilton but has been replaced; the communion table and pulpit were installed in 1957, the font in 1959 and the lectern was donated by the Boys' Brigade Company in 1980.
Other nearby listed buildings