This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.6775 / 56°40'39"N
Longitude: -5.1445 / 5°8'40"W
OS Eastings: 207462
OS Northings: 758392
OS Grid: NN074583
Mapcode National: GBR FCP2.6B6
Mapcode Global: WH1GH.YFF9
Entry Name: Ballachulish Cnap an Tairbh, Loch Leven Slate Workers' Boat Houses
Listing Date: 24 September 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395553
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48146
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lismore and Appin
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Later 19th century (pre-1870). 3 groups of lean-to mono-pitched boat houses (stores) on shore at Cnap and Tairbh to N of Lochside Cottages and E of Lochside House. Thick and battered blue-grey Ballachulish slate walls (quarry refuse) laid as dry-stone, with roofs of slate slabs. In poor condition (2001). Houses grouped in runs, with mutual walls, and singly, with evidence of occasional ruinous or roofless intermediaries. 9 retain roofs and doors. Doors of roughly boarded timber and corrugated sheet metal.
Contemporary with another major group of boat houses at Ballachulish, the other more complete if originally less extensive at Rudha na Glas-lice, to the E and listed separately. The houses are listed for the interest in the use of materials and for the historic significance of the Ballachulish slate quarries, which began operations from circa 1760. The 1870 map shows 23 boat houses on this site. It also shows the transport system from the quarries to the S, a tramway serving the quarries and leading to and from the Lochside to the W of this site. Groome describes this system: iron waggons were, "conveyed on 'lines' along the banks formed by the refuse, and laid down at little sheds, where they are, by one man, split up to the required thickness, and by another, cut into shape, after which they are ready for export.. there are five different descriptions of slate made, viz, queens, duchesses, countesses, sizables, and undersized." (Groome, 1895, p112).
Other nearby listed buildings