This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1997 / 57°11'58"N
Longitude: -3.0517 / 3°3'6"W
OS Eastings: 336553
OS Northings: 812587
OS Grid: NJ365125
Mapcode National: GBR WF.0GHL
Mapcode Global: WH7MT.392H
Plus Code: 9C9R5WXX+V8
Entry Name: Lonach Hall, by Colquohonnie Castle
Listing Date: 26 September 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395554
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48147
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1845 (dated) villa, with later extensions, refurbished 2003, and 1896 hall with notable interior. 2 buildings combined to serve Lonach Society. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled house, extended to rear, with overhanging eaves and open pedimented gables and dormerheads. Rubble, squared for dressings with harl pointing, and pointed harl to side and rear.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to S with advanced gabled bay to centre with tall doorway below shield panel inscribed 1845, and arrowslit in gablehead. 1st floor windows breaking eaves into dormerheads.
Replacement 12-lying-pane glazing patterns to timber sash and case windows in timber mullioned bipartites at ground; timber 4-pane sash and case to 1st floor. Grey slate roofs. Profiled bargeboarding to enclosed eaves. Coped ashlar stacks with cans.
INTERIOR: includes dog-leg staircase with metal balusters bearing portrait profiles of men in bonnets.
HALL: 1896. Corrugated-iron, semicircular barrel-vaulted tall single storey hall with timber-framing, on rubble base course with battered ashlar coping. Timber mullions and transoms.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: semicircular section disguised with Dutch gable end. Door to end with box canopy and 4-light fanlight. 4-light windows flanking.
Timber glazing patterns with 2-pane lower sections and multi-pane upper sections. Bowed corrugated roof. Timber bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: timber lined boarded interior and barrel-vaulted roof. Recessed minstrels' gallery to W side, framed with fluted pilasters and depressed-arch architrave, with raised platform (boarded). Further raised platform (panelled) to N end. Main entrance with part-glazed and chevron boarded 2-leaf doors, with coloured glass and lead astragals to upper panels.
The Lonach Society, established in 1823, raised funds by subscription to build the fine villa and original hall. The new hall, with its boarded interior, was added in 1896 and is of particular interest. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows the original villa of Lonach Hall linked at the rear to further buildings sited to the west. The use of corrugated iron for the Hall illustrates a preferred medium favoured for such buildings in the later 19th century (see Golspie TA Drill Hall, for example). Sir Charles Forbes Bart of Newe and Edinglassie was the driving force behind the formation of the society which upholds the tradition of highland dress, the Gaelic tongue and social service, and still runs the Lonach Gathering, held annually in August.
Other nearby listed buildings