This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3928 / 56°23'34"N
Longitude: -3.2113 / 3°12'40"W
OS Eastings: 325322
OS Northings: 722940
OS Grid: NO253229
Mapcode National: GBR 27.14JF
Mapcode Global: WH6QG.NL11
Entry Name: Errol Village, Station Road and North Bank Dykes, the Schoolhouse (Former Female Industrial School) Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395584
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48177
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
J, JM and WH Hay of Liverpool, 1855; building 'reconditioned' 1925. Tall single storey and attic, 3-bay, gothic schoolhouse with porch and corbelled oriel, on ground falling to E. Snecked rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Raised base and eaves courses. Pointed-arch doorpiece and trefoil-headed windows with raked cills. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with steps and bootscrapers up to gabled porch with boarded timber door, decorative ironwork hinges and ribbon carving in gablehead worded 'ALL THY CHILDREN SHALL BE TAUGHT OF THE LORD', small pointed-arch light to each return bipartite window to right and 2 small bipartites above breaking eaves into dormerheads. Bay to left of centre with large tripartite window and relieving arch.
S (NORTH BANK DYKES) ELEVATION: tall gabled elevation with small window with basket-arched ogee-headed moulding giving way to incised panel 'This Building for a Female Industrial School was erected through the Exertions of the Rev John Caird minister of the Parish of Errol aided by many friends. Opened February A D 1836.' Corbelled, 4-light canted oriel above.
N ELEVATION: 4-light window to ground with bipartite above.
W ELEVATION: tall single storey former schoolroom projecting at centre, full-height shouldered stack (raised in brick) piercing eaves at outer right.
Mostly diamond-pattern timber lights; 4-light window to N with 4-pane glazing pattern to each light; opening casements plate glass; 6-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case window to ground S. Graded grey slates. Coped rubble and brick stack with cans. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary wall.
Former school to W, now the Community Centre, is listed separately (see North Bank Dykes). Conceived as an educational opportunity for girls of the parish to receive training in the arts of womanhood, the Industrial School was opened in 1856, under the guidance of its first teacher Miss Euphemia Pugh. Mr & Mrs Drummond of Megginch were benefactors, holding two fund raising bazaars in the castle grounds. The school remained independent until joining the School Board in 1914. Taken over by the Education Authority in 1918 and subsequently housing the Errol School Infants' Department, it was finally closed in the mid 1970s. The present owner thinks internal alterations were carried out during the 1930s.
Other nearby listed buildings