History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inchcoonans Road, Errol Brick Company Brick Stacks and Kilns

A Category B Listed Building in Errol, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3961 / 56°23'46"N

Longitude: -3.2351 / 3°14'6"W

OS Eastings: 323857

OS Northings: 723336

OS Grid: NO238233

Mapcode National: GBR 26.0Z15

Mapcode Global: WH6QG.8HQH

Entry Name: Inchcoonans Road, Errol Brick Company Brick Stacks and Kilns

Listing Date: 21 September 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395587

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48180

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Errol

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Kinnaird

Description

1950. 2 single chamber, downdraught beehive kilns and 2 tapering square-section stacks. Brick and steel construction.

KILNS: circular brick base with wickets giving way to sectioned steel wall, narrow bracketed steel platform with railing and domed brick roof 20 ft diameter. Doors to SW. That to E (museum) with round-headed brick doorpiece and timber door. That to W retaining some fireboxes.

STACKS: tapering square-section stacks with metal bands, that to W with corbelled cope.

Statement of Interest

The TEMCO kilns were last used in 1986, since when the eastern example has been converted to a museum and plans are currently (2000) afoot to restore that to the west. The method of firing from the side led to massive heat variation, with the sprung roof expanding by 1.5". The beehive kilns were capable of holding from 10,000 - 100,000 bricks per load, and were also used in the production of large drain pipes. Errol Brick Company is the only survivor of a group of nineteenth century brickworks in the area: the others were Pitfour Patent Brick Company, Megginch, Waterybutts and Nether Mains of Inchture. Errol (Inchcoonans Tile Works) Brickworks opened in 1855 producing pottery (a short lived venture), bricks and field drainage tiles. Using local alluvial clay, brick making was introduced by the Romans, and revived in the sixteenth century by traders from the Low Countries. The parish has examples of brick farmhouses dating from the late 18th century, with a rare mid century survival at Flatfield; steadings were not built of brick until the early 19th century. The kilns at Errol Brick Company comprise: 1 rectangular downdraught kiln, 2 round downdraught kilns (see above), 1 tunnel kiln and 1 modern shuttle kiln.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.