This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3961 / 56°23'46"N
Longitude: -3.2351 / 3°14'6"W
OS Eastings: 323857
OS Northings: 723336
OS Grid: NO238233
Mapcode National: GBR 26.0Z15
Mapcode Global: WH6QG.8HQH
Entry Name: Inchcoonans Road, Errol Brick Company Brick Stacks and Kilns
Listing Date: 21 September 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395587
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48180
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
1950. 2 single chamber, downdraught beehive kilns and 2 tapering square-section stacks. Brick and steel construction.
KILNS: circular brick base with wickets giving way to sectioned steel wall, narrow bracketed steel platform with railing and domed brick roof 20 ft diameter. Doors to SW. That to E (museum) with round-headed brick doorpiece and timber door. That to W retaining some fireboxes.
STACKS: tapering square-section stacks with metal bands, that to W with corbelled cope.
The TEMCO kilns were last used in 1986, since when the eastern example has been converted to a museum and plans are currently (2000) afoot to restore that to the west. The method of firing from the side led to massive heat variation, with the sprung roof expanding by 1.5". The beehive kilns were capable of holding from 10,000 - 100,000 bricks per load, and were also used in the production of large drain pipes. Errol Brick Company is the only survivor of a group of nineteenth century brickworks in the area: the others were Pitfour Patent Brick Company, Megginch, Waterybutts and Nether Mains of Inchture. Errol (Inchcoonans Tile Works) Brickworks opened in 1855 producing pottery (a short lived venture), bricks and field drainage tiles. Using local alluvial clay, brick making was introduced by the Romans, and revived in the sixteenth century by traders from the Low Countries. The parish has examples of brick farmhouses dating from the late 18th century, with a rare mid century survival at Flatfield; steadings were not built of brick until the early 19th century. The kilns at Errol Brick Company comprise: 1 rectangular downdraught kiln, 2 round downdraught kilns (see above), 1 tunnel kiln and 1 modern shuttle kiln.
Other nearby listed buildings