History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5, 6 and 7 Bristo Place

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9464 / 55°56'46"N

Longitude: -3.1902 / 3°11'24"W

OS Eastings: 325767

OS Northings: 673232

OS Grid: NT257732

Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.9W

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.ZS1T

Entry Name: 5, 6 and 7 Bristo Place

Listing Date: 15 October 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395610

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48210

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Later 18th century, with later alterations. 4-storey, 6-bay street front tenement with former commercial premises to ground floor including prominent dentil corniced and pilastered shop front to 2-outer right bays. Harled; painted at ground. Blind windows at ground, painted window margins and projecting cills above. Banded base course, moulded string course at ground to left. Shop to right with louvred stallriser, moulded architrave, plain fascia flanked by consoles and dentilled cornice and flanked by stepped Ionic pilasters. Shop to centre with chamfered openings and shop to left with moulded and painted surrounds.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows; lower sashes blind to 3rd bay from left. Recessed 4-panel timber door flanked by Ionic columnettes to No 5. Recessed timber door with cast iron gate to No 6 and 4-panel timber door with small pane glazed fanlight to No 7. Pitched roof, grey slates. Rubble to rear.

Statement of Interest

An 18th century tenement making a good contribution to the streetscape with a finely detailed shopfront to the lower right side. The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

Bristo Place, originally named Bristo Street, was the principal route south out of the city of Edinburgh from Bristo Port. Bristo Port, a fortified gateway associated with the Flodden Wall, was built in 1515 (and was presumably demolished in 1715 in common with other ports). These tenements may have been associated with St George's Inn (Kincaid's 1784 plan of Edinburgh), a coaching inn situated just outside the Bristo Port.

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12 following category change from B to C(S).)

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.