History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinburgh Castle, New Barracks

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9485 / 55°56'54"N

Longitude: -3.2014 / 3°12'5"W

OS Eastings: 325068

OS Northings: 673477

OS Grid: NT250734

Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.04

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.SRP6

Entry Name: Edinburgh Castle, New Barracks

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395622

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48224

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

1796-9, possibly by Thomas Rudyerd. 3 storeys and basement to front, 6 storeys to rear, 12-bay E-plan former barracks. Advanced bays to ends and advanced pedimented bay to centre. Coursed sandstone with polished dressings. Cill band to 1st floor; bracketed eaves course and parapet. Regularly fenestrated. Flat-roofed 2-bay porch with Doric columns to centre, single-bay porches to ends. Piend-roofed dormers to attic. Balustrade to basement area. Arcade, previously open, now with iron verandah (1893) at 1st floor to rear.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Broad ashlar ridge and end stacks.

Statement of Interest

The A Group comprises Batteries, Foog's Gate, Gatehouse, Governor's House, Great Hall, Lang Stairs, Military Prison, National War Museum, New Barracks, Old Guardhouse, Palace Block, Portcullis Gate, St Margaret's Chapel, Scottish National War Memorial, Telephone Kiosks, United Services Museum and Vaults, all within Edinburgh Castle, and in the Care of Historic Scotland. Built during the war with Revolutionary France to provided accommodation for an infantry battalion, 600 officers and men. The articles in the BUILDER and BUILDING NEWS describe a scheme by Billings to Baronialise the building, breaking up its monolithic appearance from the N and giving it an appearance of the James VI Palace block to S. Both articles state that the Barracks had been 'dismantled' 6 years previously, prior to the erection of a garrison church, and that this order had been 'countermanded,' and the building left 'in a ruinous state.' Although Billings worked on carvings for the building, his scheme was not executed, and the Barracks were apparently rebuilt in approximately the previous form. An architectural model now in the Argyle Tower shows a different scheme.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.