History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinburgh Castle, St Margaret's Chapel

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9487 / 55°56'55"N

Longitude: -3.2001 / 3°12'0"W

OS Eastings: 325152

OS Northings: 673501

OS Grid: NT251735

Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.91

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.TRB0

Entry Name: Edinburgh Castle, St Margaret's Chapel

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395630

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48228

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Earlier 12th century, with later alterations and additions (see Notes). Simple pitch-roofed (piended to E) Romanesque chapel. Squared ashlar and random rubble with ashlar dressings and skews. Timber studded door in round-arched opening to N, J Wilson Paterson, 1939.

INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted rectangular nave (see Notes), separated from apsidal sanctuary by Romanesque chevron-inscribed chancel arch with nook-shafts (restored 1851-2). N doorway and aumbry to sanctuary. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan, 1922 (SS Andrew, Columba, Margaret and Ninian, and William Wallace).

Statement of Interest

The A Group comprises Batteries, Foog's Gate, Gatehouse, Governor's House, Great Hall, Lang Stairs, Military Prison, National War Museum, New Barracks, Old Guardhouse, Palace Block, Portcullis Gate, St Margaret's Chapel, Scottish National War Memorial, Telephone Kiosks, United Services Museum and Vaults, all within Edinburgh Castle, and in the Care of Historic Scotland. The earliest surviving building on the Castle Rock, the Chapel may have been built by David I in memory of his mother, canonised as St Margaret in 1250. The building was much altered during use as a magazine and munitions store from 16th-19th centuries. In 1845 the Chapel (then a storehouse at the W end of the 18th century garrison chapel) was rediscovered as such by the antiquarian Daniel Wilson. Surrounding buildings, including the garrison chapel, were demolished, and a simple restoration carried out under the direction of Col George Phillpots and Maximilian Grant, 1851-2. The barrel-vault of the nave is of this period, although it was probably also originally vaulted. Grant's illustration shows the form of the N door at this time. A later proposal by Hippolyte Blanc to enlarge and enrich the chapel was rejected.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.