This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9495 / 55°56'58"N
Longitude: -3.1942 / 3°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 325520
OS Northings: 673579
OS Grid: NT255735
Mapcode National: GBR 8NG.GS
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XQ3F
Entry Name: 503-509 (Odd Nos) Lawnmarket and 13-17a (Odd Nos) James Court
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395652
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48245
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1795. 5-storey and attic 6-bay tenement with shops to ground floor and flat-arched entrances to pends (Mid and West Entries to James Court) to outer right and in 3rd bay from left. Grey ashlar, painted to ground; rubble to rear. Eaves course. Regularly fenestrated, but floor levels different in 3 bays to left and right. Projecting cills. Modern shop front to left (continuous to Milne's Court); consoled, modillioned cornice and Corinthian pilasters to shop to right. 4 slated piend-roofed dormers to attic. Turnpike stair to flats in pend.
REAR (JAMES COURT) ELEVATIONS: single bay to left, over round-arched entrance to pend. Narrow canted bay (windows lighting stair) in re-entrant angle. Broad projecting bay with tripartite windows to each floor to centre (later harled flat-roofed single storey building adjoining to ground). Narrow bay over pend. 4-storey piend-roofed wing to right: regularly fenestrated; modern timber panelled door in bolection-moulded surround to 17A to N elevation.
12-pane glazing in 3 bays to right, plate glass in 3 bays to left, in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Tall corniced stacks (brick to right, stone to left) with circular cans.
In 1723-7 James Brownhill (following the precedent of Robert Mylne at Milne's Court) demolished closes running N/S to form a square court, building a tall double tenement to the N (all but the E section of which was destroyed in a fire in 1857), but leaving the old buildings facing the Lawnmarket. Those to the W of Gladstone's Land were replaced circa 1795
Other nearby listed buildings